Longtubes worth it?

pb_paulie_b

Founding Member
May 19, 2001
Chaptico, Maryland
At some point I'm gonna have to get some swap headers. Whats the difference in hp and torque between the shorty's and longtubes? Guess what I really want to know is it worth the $400 to $500 for the longtubes with matching short H-pipe :shrug: .
Thanks PB

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think the hp or torque is hardly anything. IMO it's not worth the extra for long tubes and matching H or X-pipe. Some people love the LT's cause they may sound a little better to some people But I will be sticking with some shortys

I have shared my story a lot... some say its a fluke, some stick by it... but here goes...

Bolt ons, Mac Shorties, Mac catted H, and a Flowmaster CB. Car went 13.89 @ 98

Same engine mods, added pullies, Mac LTs, Mac Prochamber, same catback. Car went 13.21 @ 101 first day out.

With some practice and subframes went 13.05 @ 103.

I LOVE long tubes, but everyone has their own experience and opinion.

I have/had both shorties and longtubes. I like the longtube sound better...that is about it. Nothing bone jarring in difference between the two.

Keep in mind, longtubes weigh more, are more expensive, cause clearance issues that can lead to hot start problems, cable burnings, and they hang lower (ground clearance is less)...and are harder to install.

good luck!

25thmustang said:
I have shared my story a lot... some say its a fluke, some stick by it... but here goes...

Bolt ons, Mac Shorties, Mac catted H, and a Flowmaster CB. Car went 13.89 @ 98

Same engine mods, added pullies, Mac LTs, Mac Prochamber, same catback. Car went 13.21 @ 101 first day out.

With some practice and subframes went 13.05 @ 103.

I LOVE long tubes, but everyone has their own experience and opinion.

I bet the pullies had alot to do with that.

I have thought about getting L/T's but I don't think I will unless I find a wicked deal on a set with a H-pipe to go with them.

Yeah Brian already explained in a previous post that he added the longtubes with a prochamber, pullies, and subframes, and he possibly learned to drive a tiny bit better in between the 98mph run and the 103mph run. It adds up and makes sense...track prep also helps E.T.'s as well...

Yeah, I usually compare the 13.8 to the 13.2 as the track, temps and such were almost identicle. The interesting thing to note, the 13.8 was done, and the car was driven maybe a few weeks. I then put it away to do the headers, that took a week on and off. Then maybe another few weeks brought it back, and the first pass was a 13.26, followed by a 13.4 and then a 13.21. My driving might have improved but it wasnt from practice (I dont drive the car on the street like the track). The pulleys did help, but I installed the headers and midpipe before the pulleys and the SOTP feel was awesome. The car felt a lot faster. Then threw the pullies on and didnt notice much other than it cured my charging issues (yeah went from the battery dying every 2nd day it sat, to not dying for months).

Like I say, I just share the story, you make your own judgement. I am happy I saw great results (no real bad side effects either, stock starter, no scraping, etc...) but in the end, will recommend them.

Brain, did you get rid of the stock headers/cats when you added the longtubes and prochambers...?

I have gained 3mph at the track one time (didn't notice any difference in temp, except it might have actually been a big warmer that day) with no changes except adding an alternator? Track time to track time...

I switched from bbk unequal 1 5/8 shorties to bbk 1 5/8 LT's and just cut and welded my x-pipe to fit and the power difference was well worth the trouble. I gained alot of low end and some good power throughout the mid range as well.

I say go for it!