looking at a gear change...

Final5pt0

Apr 18, 2005
and i was wondering 3.55's or 3.73's.... big difference on either from stock? which is better (maybe some ppl who have driven both could shed some light)? ans does it kill your gas enough to notice?

• Sponsors (?)

i went from 3.08 to 3.73 and i got better gas mileage, but i do only city driving. and i wouldn't go with 3.55 as i was also expecting more from the 3.73 but then again i wasn't disaponited

Final5pt0 said:
and i was wondering 3.55's or 3.73's.... big difference on either from stock? which is better (maybe some ppl who have driven both could shed some light)? ans does it kill your gas enough to notice?

I got 373's and they are pretty good all around gears :nice:

Now I wanna talk to you about a couple things :D

First thing is ... how did you get a 0 post count :shrug:
How can you post nuthin :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Second thing is ... If that post count means you are new .........

Welcome to :SNSign:

AND

Even though you don't know it ......... Your Question has placed yourself in a position of Uniqueness or Heck ...... You may even become famous ........
at least on this forum it could happen.

355's or 373's

That Q used to get asked 2 to 3 times each week on this forum.

Been like 6 months or longer since we seen that Q :banana:

That is .............. UNTIL YOU CAME ALONG :rlaugh:

Hey just funnin with ya & good to see ya here :nice:

Grady

lol i'm sorta new i used to post here a while back then fogot both my user name and password... but anyways it seems from the few responses that i should lean twords 3.73's...anyone else got any insight?
-and you guys who were dissapointed...how so?
oh and its a 5spd

final5-0 said:
First thing is ... how did you get a 0 post count :shrug:
How can you post nuthin :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

If you have a new username and you only post in talk, the talk posts don't count, so you will stay at zero until you post in tech.

final5-0 said:
That Q used to get asked 2 to 3 times each week on this forum.

Been like 6 months or longer since we seen that Q :banana:

Can't really say I've missed it lol...I hate when people say it, but he should "use the search button."

I think 3.73's are the "safest" gear in terms of u dont have MUCH to regret if u dont like them for whatever reason. Most guys will say 3.73's....others will say 4.10s.

Depending on how long u wait...my 3.73's might be coming out of my rear end...and i've been nothin but happy with mine. Great all around gear. Gets the job done in every category. :nice:

I'm still bent on this subject. I have yet to see any science behind it. Where do you draw the line between too high ratio and not enough :shrug:

People love the gear, but I love staying in gear. One of these days I will come up with a scientific approach to choosing the right gear.

Zero Signal said:
I'm still bent on this subject. I have yet to see any science behind it. Where do you draw the line between too high ratio and not enough :shrug:

People love the gear, but I love staying in gear. One of these days I will come up with a scientific approach to choosing the right gear.

What gear are you runnin now John?

Grady

right now my gearing is stock, does anyone know for sure what the 95 gt's came with stock? im not even sure, currently the car has Ford racing 1 5/8 inch headers , a bassani x-pipe, flowmaster cat-backs and a tri-ax shifter otherwise its bone stock

i was just expecting a little more pull from the 3.73s, i don't regret doing it because as stated before the 3.73s are great all around gears, if i would have gone with 4.10s my RPMs would have been way too high for comfort while cruising on the freeway.

Final5pt0 said:
right now my gearing is stock, does anyone know for sure what the 95 gt's came with stock? im not even sure, currently the car has Ford racing 1 5/8 inch headers , a bassani x-pipe, flowmaster cat-backs and a tri-ax shifter otherwise its bone stock
Most with 3.08 gears or 2.73, some had 3.27. You can figure out what you have for sure by putting the back up on jack stands. Then mark the driveshaft and turn one of the rear tires (tranny out of gear). As you turn the tire one full revolution, count the turns of the driveshaft. 3 turns on the D/S = 3.08 gears, a little less = 2.78, a little more = 3.27.

There is a code on your door that says what gear the car came with. But the reason to do this test is that you will quickly be able to tell whether you have aftermarket gears already.

BTW, put your mods in your signature.