low coolant wheres it going???

Bosko5.0

May 18, 2006
longwood, FL
well after swapping radiators i have filled the overflow twice and its empty again.
I going to change oil and tranny fluid tomorrow and see if there is water in it, but what would cause my car to lose so much coolant. when i first started my car after putting in new rad some water came out of the exhuast but I thought that was condensation from combustion

I need to fix this so I can take my car to sebring which is 150 miles away.:(

• Sponsors (?)

I would start the car (While cold) with the cap off and let it run up to temp. Make sure the thermostat has opened and water is flowing through the radiator. Then keep topping off the radiator. Once it's full put the cap on. Drive it a bit and then start filling up the overflow while the car is still up to temp.

I've made the mistake of thinking the radiator was full when it wasn't all the way. This caused me to keep refilling the overflow as you've experienced. I would try what I told you above to make sure. If you still have the problems then I would leave the car sitting in one place running and take a look underneath to see where it's coming from.

Yea if you just swapped radiators, theres prolly just air in the system. Do as mentioned above or you can drive and keep filling until the reservoir stops emptying. WHile your there just check underneath the car for leaks to be sure. If you have coolant in the oil or the engine you either put a hole in the block or you have a blown headgasket. Both of which are huge problems taht you would notice right away. And since nothing of the sort has been mentioned, dont waste time and money changing oil if it isnt due.

well i swapped radiators like mid feb:D air in the system was what I was hoping but I would think that it would be out off the system by now. oil is in need of change any way.

And Sebring Raceway :nice: only going to watch and raise hell in town. If i had another mustang set up for racing( and a way to get the car there) I would be racing there in a heartbeat:nice: but right now money wont allow it. :nonono:

After I reinstalled my leaky radiator the tank when empty again the next day. I was pissed. Re-filled and its been fine since. Water must have made its way threw the heater core hoses. All has been well since.

I would start the car (While cold) with the cap off and let it run up to temp. Make sure the thermostat has opened and water is flowing through the radiator. Then keep topping off the radiator. Once it's full put the cap on. Drive it a bit and then start filling up the overflow while the car is still up to temp.

I've made the mistake of thinking the radiator was full when it wasn't all the way. This caused me to keep refilling the overflow as you've experienced. I would try what I told you above to make sure. If you still have the problems then I would leave the car sitting in one place running and take a look underneath to see where it's coming from.

:nice: i agree with this you wouldn't believe how much more will auctually go in i was freaking too with my rad swap in my 93.....
if you start the car you watch and there is no visiable drips anywhere??

If you find no other leaks, I once had to replace my water pump on my '89 Gt. The waterpump on that engine had a small hole in the bottom that leaked coolant when the pump goes bad. I couldnt figure out where my coolant was going either, until someone told me about the waterpump. It leaks while youre driving down the road, so when you park and shut off the engine you will never see a puddle...

well no milky oil. and no water in the tranny but since I have to remove the pass. side header to change tranny filter and i noticed water stains on my fluidyne coming from the upper hose but it was dry, but when i got it back together started it up, got it up to temp where it would build pressure and the hose had water dripping so i tightened the clamp so hopefully that fixes it.:nice: