Low Weight Battery

Ivan A

May 26, 2004
I just had an idea how to shed a load of weight from my 85gt - I am going to buy a motorbike battery for track nights. They are only about 1/8th the size of a regular battery. All it has to do is a few starts, no lights, radio etc.

Anyone have a good reason why this wont work for occasional trips to the track ?

• Sponsors (?)

if you mean a little battery for motorcycles, there is no way i can see it working. it would barely turn on your headlights, i bet. are you gonna compression start the motor each time? i assume you wont run the alt, cuz you will blow the thing up with your alternator.
there are a lot of things i would remove, before messing with a battery. put it in the trunk (where weight is good) if you want to do anything.

good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
if you mean a little battery for motorcycles, there is no way i can see it working. it would barely turn on your headlights, i bet. are you gonna compression start the motor each time? i assume you wont run the alt, cuz you will blow the thing up with your alternator.
there are a lot of things i would remove, before messing with a battery. put it in the trunk (where weight is good) if you want to do anything.

good luck.

I DONT SEE WHY IT WOULDNT WORK AS LONG AS YOU USE A 12 VOLT BAT.
i own sevral bikes and (gsxr 1100 8.5 1/4 mile) some times my mine die off the bike and i pull my bat. off the car and hook it up and let my alt charge it

but i would put it in the trunk theres a good chance there insnt enough power to make a couple runs your gunna lose hp

A motorcycle battery will not have the cranking amps to start a car. It will run the headlights for a little bit, your alternator won't blow it up, but I really can't see it starting your car, but if you jump start your car, I could see it working. I'd still put an optima in the trunk.

Js5ohLX said:
A motorcycle battery will not have the cranking amps to start a car. It will run the headlights for a little bit, your alternator won't blow it up, but I really can't see it starting your car, but if you jump start your car, I could see it working. I'd still put an optima in the trunk.
yeah, that is what i said. so im not sure why shytty disagreed with me, but not with you. you must smell better. :)

also if you try to put too many amps into a bike battery, they dont take kindly to it.

So I might be wasting $40

I hear what you are all saying and I accept its a risk but I think there is enough doubt that its worth a shot. So I went out today and bought a 12V motorbike battery.

It has 165 CCA which is the cold cranking amps meaning it can give 165A for 30 seconds at 0F. The recommended minimum is to have your CCA equal to the cubic inch displacement (for a petrol). Since I only want summer or track use I guessed just over half might cut it. :shrug: My motor fires up really easily just now so im hopeful.

I weighed them both; my 500CCA auto battery is 32lbs and the motorbike one is 11.5 lbs so a saving of 20.5 lbs (if it works).:nice:

Its on charging now, I'll try to give it a go tomorrow.

I looked at the dyna-battery but it was $155. The one I bought yesterday was $40.

Last night the motorbike battery finished charging so I did a swap and tried to fire the mustang up. It started no problem. I killed it and tried again - no problem. I let it idle, did throttle blips, put the lights on and off, tried starting with the lights on still no problem.

I left the small battery hooked up overnight then tried again this morning. Again is managed repeated starts without a hitch. I am going to fab a small battery tray and run with it for the summer.

If anyone is interested in trying it for an easy 20lbs weight drop, its a Magna Power battery type CB10-A2FP.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 146
Just had to mention that a "Dyna Batt" is a motorcycly battery with stickers on it. I found this out from a very well know racer friend of mine who uses one. He found the actual company that makes the batteries for Dyna Batt and got it directly. He paid $70.

Just a quick update...

I made a battery tray our of aluminum and bolted the small battery into the GT last night. This morning it started up and got me into work without a problem. Infact there is no noticable change over the large battery. A nice weight reduction for little effort/cost in my opinion.