Lower control arm/drive train noise?

krtw

Sep 18, 2009
Oregon
I installed new lower control arms last year, these have the polyurethane bushings in them. I am wondering if the solid/rigid poly bushings could be making "normal" drive train/rear end noises more apparent, the OEM control arms had rubber bushings which I know don't trasmit noise like the poly can. Anybody notice increased noise after lower control arm install with polyurethane bushings?

• Sponsors (?)

I dont really notice any difference. My car rides real quiet, minus this weird spring noise when I start to reverse. But thats the spring seat itself shifting around on the arm but really no big deal.

All I can say is if its greasable, GREASE IT lol

All I can say is if its greasable, GREASE IT lol

:lol: I wish.....

The noise I have is a clunk or a pop sound....like you might expect from a bad u-joint, noise comes from the rear of the car. I just had the diff. gone through, gears setup and bearings replaced. This made no improvement. I am really out of ideas. If I am really smooth with the clutch, REALLY smooth, most times I won't hear it.....but in stop and go traffic its almost impossible to drive the car without hearing it. I did an internet search and found the BMW M3's have a similar issue that is common, they call it "M Clunk", which really surprised me for such an expensive car.

:lol: I wish.....

The noise I have is a clunk or a pop sound....like you might expect from a bad u-joint, noise comes from the rear of the car. I just had the diff. gone through, gears setup and bearings replaced. This made no improvement. I am really out of ideas. If I am really smooth with the clutch, REALLY smooth, most times I won't hear it.....but in stop and go traffic its almost impossible to drive the car without hearing it. I did an internet search and found the BMW M3's have a similar issue that is common, they call it "M Clunk", which really surprised me for such an expensive car.

Hah a friend of mine here has an M with the clunk, lol. But yeah mine has a small clunk from R/R since I did the suspension but its only in reverse when I initially move but other then that never does it so I dont think yours should be doing it all the time. What control arms/bushings are you using? (in the control arms and in the axle pivot ears)

Hah a friend of mine here has an M with the clunk, lol. But yeah mine has a small clunk from R/R since I did the suspension but its only in reverse when I initially move but other then that never does it so I dont think yours should be doing it all the time. What control arms/bushings are you using? (in the control arms and in the axle pivot ears)

The upper arms are the OEM arms. The lowers I bought from Stangsuspension.com, their brand. They have adjustable spring perches for height. The bushings on the uppers of course are the rubber original bushings, they still look new. The lowers have poly bushings, I think they are prothanes....in both ends. A few weeks ago I checked the bolt tightness of the lowers, they were tight but probably half the torque they should have been. I tightened them to spec and marked them so if they moved I could tell.....no movement noticed. I checked the lower spring perch and it really does not look like the spring is shifting around. I was thinking about putting the old OEM lowers back on just to see if anything changed.......but then I remembered that I threw them away.