Lower Intake

nero6

Aug 30, 2007
Hi, I had a slow coolant loss and hopefully I have found the issue. All of my lower intake bolts were loose. Off by about 8-10 ft pounds. My first question is, if I tighten them all up will the gasket seal again? The reason why I ask is I do not really want to take out the lower intake if I can avoid it. My second question is, if I have to take out the lower intake, is it possible to do this without removing the fuel rail from the lower intake and just remove the lower intake and fuel rail as one unit, or do they have to come out seperatly?

• Sponsors (?)

You need to remove and reseal with fresh gaskets and rtv.

Get some A/C disconnect tools and disconnect the fuel lines down near where the smog pump would be. Then the fuel rail and injectors and all that will come out with the lower intake. Make sure you releive pressure first.

You need to remove and reseal with fresh gaskets and rtv.

Get some A/C disconnect tools and disconnect the fuel lines down near where the smog pump would be. Then the fuel rail and injectors and all that will come out with the lower intake. Make sure you releive pressure first.

Perfect thanks.

Also, after you reinstall the lower, you need to go back and retorque. After the first couple hot/cold cycles, the bolts will loosen up. usually takes 2 or sometimes 3 times of torquing them to get it to stay tight.

PITA

Also, after you reinstall the lower, you need to go back and retorque. After the first couple hot/cold cycles, the bolts will loosen up. usually takes 2 or sometimes 3 times of torquing them to get it to stay tight.

PITA

Thanks. Ya, that is probably what happened to me. The engine was rebuilt a few years ago but only has 5000km (3100 miles) since the rebuild and nothing was retourqed since. Took almost a full turn to tourque everything down again. I also discovered puddles of oil in the intake, have to figure that out as well. Right now I have two breathers with a pcv on the valve cover and the lower intake PCV blocked off, so a good opportunity to change everything back to stock, get rid of the breathers which are blowing oil all over the valve covers. Hopefully that at least cuts down on the oil being sucked into the intake.

PITA
this is very important, in fact I usually re-torque after 1 heat cycle, then 5 or 6th, then one more time like a month later

^^^please dont do that. unless you like drilling broken bolts out of the cyl heads. :nonono:

it only takes a few mins the retorque the bolts and will save you from having to do this yet again. :nice:

Right on, I will take your advice. I have used 'blue' permatex on quite a few things with no issues at all. Their website actually recommends it for intakes and claims they are removable with hand tools, guess I was pushing my luck.