Mach 460 expirement

KingDiamond

Mar 9, 2003
Chicago, IL
I just installed a set of Boston Acoustics FS-80 components in the front. They are running off an Alpine 2-channel amp and it sounds great. Well I also have a 12-inch Kenwood sub that previously ran off the Alpine amp. I can't afford to buy another amp right now so I want to try something out. The rear speaker deck has been removed along with the stock Mach 460 speakers that were there. All that's left are the harnesses. Well I connected those harnesses back to the stock Mach 460 amps and then ran the rear right channel to the sub. The bass is great now, even better than when the sub ran off the Alpine amp. I did a little research previously on Visteon's website and it said that the rear speakers are dual-coil voice coil speakers and the amps can handle frequencies under 20 Hz. There shouldn't be a problem running the sub off one of the amps.

Anyway, the sub is a lot louder than the front speakers. So is there something I can install that will allow me to adjust the output of the sub (or rear right speaker output)? My Alpine headunit has a fader control but the sub still overpowers the front speakers.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Alright I pretty much got it running all good. I had a stereo volume control laying around and I hooked it up in between the amp and the sub and now I can adjust the level of the sub. The only problem is that at Volume 10 on the Alpine head unit, the stock amp is probably at full power. I'll post pics when I get a chance, it's freezing outside and snowing too so I can't do it now.

If the speakers are dvc and the sub is svc then yes it will be louder because the amp is used to seeing a lower load on it then what it has now. BTW it sounds like what you did is working but you are going to cook the voice coil on the sub if it's a svc.

That doesn't sound right because even with the stock DVC speakers it's really loud, the amps are just more sensitive. With the Alpine head unit and the Mach 460 system, at volume level 10 the speakers were so loud it would start distorting. With the same head unit and the new aftermarket frontstage and amp, I can go to level 30 and it still doesn't distort, but it's really loud.

Is your sub hooked up to the factory amp? Is the sub svc? Are there any other speakers on that amp? Most aftermarket speakers and subs are either 2 ohm, 4 ohm or 8 ohm. Most factory speakers are not. They can be 6 ohm and i've even seen 10 and 12 ohm factory speakers before. Point is that factory stereo systems especially higher end systems are designed to perform without adding or changing anything to the system. Now does that mean that it work or you shouldn't add or change anything to the system? Of course not. But Ford didn't take into consideration that someone would add an aftermarket sub to their factory system and use all factory wiring and equipment. That is why Ford has an upgrade package from the mach460 to the mach1000. For people that want better sound with subs. I have never been able to quite figure out factory systems with amps and speakers that are not normal (4 and 8 ohm). But I never have used a factory system before either. It's far easier to start from scratch and design a system that suits your particular preference.

You will find it will be easier and wiser in the long run to wait till you get another amp for your sub. The reason being you can and probably will damage your subwoofer making it useless. Especially not knowing the exact specs and wiring diagrams of the factory system.

I talked to a custom audio installer in my area and he said that he know a bit about the Mach 460 systems. He said that if I get a Line converter for factory amps, then I can adjust the output going to the amp and everything should sound fine. He also told me that the factory speakers are 8 ohm.

If the factory speakers are 8ohm(dvc) and your sub is 4ohm(svc) then you will be ruining the sub not to mention the amp because by doing this you will be taking your amp down to a 2ohm load and unless your sub and the factory amp are capable of handling a 2ohm load (they are not) they'll be cooking. Just feel how hot that amp will get and then fell the other one after playing for awhile. I used to be a certified dealer and installer for Orion the good ol days pre y2k before the company was bought out. But if your installer says he can make it work then that is great for you. I would just make sure. Ask him if he is going pay for or replace your amp and sub when they just stop working all the sudden. Anyways good luck. Hope it works out for you.