Mach 460 HU Removal, RCA Input?

anaxagoras

May 9, 2003
I searched but couldn't find anything, so i hope this isn't a commonly asked question.

I have a 2001 vert with a mach460(with the indash 6 changer). I am not looking to rewire my whole car as I don't know how much longer I"ll have it. I don't have the money right now to do anything serious, but i want to get this working:

So finally my question: I would like to keep my stock amps and speakers, but I would like to get rid of the headunit and use RCA cables to input sound. How would i go about doing this?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Did you ever figure out how to do this? I want to do the exact same thing with my car and I HATE the restrictions of the MACH 460 system. PM me if you figure out something and I will do the same.

In some model years you can get a direct RCA input to your Mach 460 with a PIE adapter cable. I installed it in my 2002 Mustang and it works great. You just press the CD button on the Mach 460 to "toggle" between the CD player and your 2nd input device. I used it with my XM radio tuner, but it will also work with a mini-disc, I-pod, Sirius or whatever pre-amp input device you have. Here's the link to the PIE adapter that I bought:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdnaux.html

Here's the link to my installation in my 02 Mustang GT.

http://www.geocities.com/rich35242/Mustang_GT.html

BestTimesNow said:
In some model years you can get a direct RCA input to your Mach 460 with a PIE adapter cable. I installed it in my 2002 Mustang and it works great. You just press the CD button on the Mach 460 to "toggle" between the CD player and your 2nd input device. I used it with my XM radio tuner, but it will also work with a mini-disc, I-pod, Sirius or whatever pre-amp input device you have. Here's the link to the PIE adapter that I bought:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdnaux.html

Here's the link to my installation in my 02 Mustang GT.

http://www.geocities.com/rich35242/Mustang_GT.html

While that isnt 100% what I want because I want to completely remove the radio, its a great option besides using the FM modulator. I will get a cleaner signal this way. Thanks!

The harness is different for the mid 90's stangs so it will not fit your cars, and also that part is designed to be used in conjunction with an aftermarket deck, you splice it into the speaker leads coming off the deck then the 4 gain screws drop the level down to a lower level that will not blow up the stock amps. If you are looking to put an aftermarket deck in you can do it this way, the level converter is a universal box you could buy and splice into you deck harness, quick and painless to do, in the way of using rca inputs to the mach amps, it will not work well at all, sound quality will suck and there will not be much volume, best way if you want to use the stock amps is to get the harness and converter box. good luck Dan

This worked for me,

:nice: May work for others as well. I was at, of all places, Walmart. I saw an adapter that said: "For use with factory amplifier. Quick and easy install" I said for less than $10.00 I'll give it a try. It worked and it was easy. Amps powered up and everything. The adapter is made by Scosche and the model number is FDK106. It says it is for 88-03 Ford premium sound systems. The only drawback, if there is one, is that there are no adjustments like on the $50.00 units :nice:

I am currently in the process of changing the stock hu to an aftermarket hu and it is a huge pain in the @ss :bang: . I used a harness, which I bought at Fry's electronics, for power and ground but ended up hard wiring the rear speakers and the tweets. According to the installation shops that I've been to this was my only option. I was told that I HAD to bypass the pre-amps. But after all was said and done I was able to make a not so great 10'' crossfire sub sound very good. By the way I am new to this Forum so hopefully I can learn alot form everyone here. :nice:

:fuss: Well, forget that. Crutchfield highly recommends I do not order this because it WON'T work with the 2001+ MACH Audio System. He basically said I'm SOL if I want to keep the stock system and change out the HU. Like everyone else says, change the whole system. Oh well it was worth a try. If anyone else comes up with any bright ideas for changing out the HU on a 2001+ MACH Audio system let me know.