Machine shop that resplines axles?

• Sponsors (?)

Shakin66 said:
I want to move the wheels inward more while I have the rear end completly removed and wonder if anyone in the Southeast can help me find a shop that can re-cut the splines in these axles?

How much do you want them narrowed? Moser does resplining, I believe they're in Illinois. I don't believe the splines are cut, I think they're rolled into the axle, then it is re heat treated.

When you pulled your axles out, you should be able to se a sort of line where the axle splines were engaged with the 3rd member. The splines should run well past this line. You can cut the end of the axle off and re bevel the end if you're only narrowing 1/2"-3/4" per side. I've seen a guy take a zipper wheel and a steady hand and extend the splines a little bit before, but I don't believe they were engageed to that point. The axle doesn't stay at that line, that's just where it usually rides, cornering makes the axles slide in and out of the carrier just a little bit.

Shakin66 said:
I really need to go 1.25" which is further than the splines will allow. None of my local shops can do this kind of work appearantly.

I see from your sig, you already have your wheels. I was going to say, since you're already narrowing your axle, why not split your rear wheel wells and move the inners inward to make a wider tub. It's cheap, but it takes a bit of time to do. I plan on doing it to my '65 coupe someday when I get my rotisserie built.

Larry

BTW, is it just me or does this new format seem slower, I connect a 3033k here at work and it as slow as the old way with my 22.5k dialup connection at home.