MAF and CAI Install Question

k00ksta

May 13, 2007
Chicago
Well I just finally got time to drop my Cold Air kit in and my MAF calibrated for my injectors but it seems when I first started the car. It started up perfect seem to be running really rich got alot of exhaust (whitish) smoke from the mufflers for about a minute or so. then that seemed to clear up but it then started to run fairly strange. it started sort of choking then the check engine light flashed a few times then went away and it continued to sorta slope and ramp up during the idle I shut it down after about 1 min of running so im wondering does the computer need to adjust itself to the new MAF and such? I had the 24lb injectors running with the stock Cold Air intake and the stock MAF and that would run fine other than it would idle like it was floating on cloud 9 if you know what I mean (Hit gas and it would slowly ramp back down to idle before the correct MAF for my Injectors) so im wondering now do I need a custom chip for my 1995 GT or is this normal until the computer balances itself out or something? tomorrow when I get home from work im going to start it back up and let it run for awhile and see if it settles down but just curious. also if I do need a chip where can I get one for my make/model last time I asked I was told I needed some 500$ wiring harness and a whole new computer due to it not having a chip that could be burnt for it. Check my sig for my mod's would love to get a tunned chip for this car! Thanks :D :D

• Sponsors (?)

I can't be sure about what all you have done but :shrug:

If you had 24's working with the stock GT meter and GT pcm you were too
fat. The pcm would have pushed its adaptive strategy to the full lean
limit in its attempt to compensate.

If that is the case, I'd do a pcm reset by discoing the neg battery cable
and turning on the headlights for about 10 seconds, turn em off, put
the cable back.

If that don't help :(

Something was overlooked during the meter exchange like a plug
not fitting well or a leak around the fittings, etc

Just check out everything you messed with during the project

Sounds like you might have a meter cal that is not right
or
As good as it could be

I will say this ... since you got the extra cubes ..........
Your load will be effected by the cubes and will throw off
the meters call a bit. The only way to make adjustments for
that issue if it becomes a prob is to work with the pcm.

Grady

Nice thanks

I can't be sure about what all you have done but :shrug:

If you had 24's working with the stock GT meter and GT pcm you were too
fat. The pcm would have pushed its adaptive strategy to the full lean
limit in its attempt to compensate.

If that is the case, I'd do a pcm reset by discoing the neg battery cable
and turning on the headlights for about 10 seconds, turn em off, put
the cable back.

Something was overlooked during the meter exchange like a plug
not fitting well or a leak around the fittings, etc

Just check out everything you messed with during the project

Sounds like you might have a meter cal that is not right
or
As good as it could be

I will say this ... since you got the extra cubes ..........
Your load will be effected by the cubes and will throw off
the meters call a bit. The only way to make adjustments for
that issue if it becomes a prob is to work with the pcm.

Grady

After speaking with a few other people I know they told me that the computer may take a few starts to get the correct setup in the computer. And to be honest it makes alot of sense. And from like you said it probably was set to fat and the computer sensed the correct air calibration and is attempting to adjust for it. Because I had the car running with the stock cai and maf for almost a year now and if I recall even when I started it up with it like that it did the same thing the first few times I started the car. So possibly it just needs to start a few times take some readings and compare and adjust. Almost did seem like it was changing things cuz it would idle out for a few seconds then increase the rpms to about 2k sit there for a few seconds then come back down and idle out which it sat there at idle until I shut it off. we will see I will start it up today and let it sit for more than a few minutes. thanks for the input man :D