Mallory Vs Msd Vs Accel

PeteyAce

Jul 2, 2004
im looking to upgrade my ignition coil and get a ignition box, i hear msd (might suddenly die) aren't too reliable. But i do hear good things from mallory and accel. Whats something good to go with a h/c/i combo?

• Sponsors (?)

i'm on the same boat and a lot of people have pointed me towards mallory or crane. a few have said accel too but i really haven't heard much of their stuff. i know accel's coil cost more than both MSD's and Mallory's at autozone, but that doesn't really say much.

I used to think that MSD was so much better than Accel, but anymore ... no. Not impressed with the last two MSD coils I've bought. Both of them ended up making a weird buzzing noise while running and also creating noise through my stereo (ground loop isolator and other tricks never cured the problem entirely). The MSD 6AL boxes are notorious for crapping out at random. MSD = Might Suddenly Die. :notnice:

Honestly, I don't think I've ever really had a problem with any of Accel's stuff. There are some better brands out there, yes, but for the money, their ignition parts aren't bad, and again, I've never had any problem with using their stuff on any of my vehicles over the years. :nice:

Mallory has been around forever, but I don't know anyone that's ever used any of their stuff. :shrug: