May be trading in the GT for a 99 Vette...Question

Hey guys, might be trading in the GT for a black 99' Vette that I test drove this afternoon. It has 27,000 miles and is in great condition, took it for about a 20min test drive. Everything seems mechanically sound and the interior is in great shape as well.

I'm going back tomorrow morning with the fiance to take her for a drive in it (have to ok it with the boss :shrug:). Anyway, if everything goes right I may pick it up tomorrow or very soon.

So my question is this. My dad is a very good mechanic, but having moved to this area from IA and him not being an option anymore...I would like to get the car looked at by someone or someplace besides the dealers own mechanics. I'm sure everything is fine with it, but I'm sure you guys understand.

Is anyone here really good with Vettes, or can you guys recommend someplace trustworthy and knowledgeable that I can take it to tomorrow or sometime this week?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

sorry man, I don't live down in that area....there are vette specialty shops just about everywhere....and check the sales price by going to
www.edmunds.com
www.kbb.com
don't use retail price, do private party and trade in values.
Also, if you really want to negotiate. Force the dealer to negotiate profit, and not sales price. You make them tell you what their inventory cost on the car is, and dicker over how much profit they will make.
Great deal is 700-900 profit. good deal is 1500 profit tops. Thats assuming that those numbers are within range of the private party/trade-in value of the car.
Sometimes dealerships are into the car for too much money....good luck

Thanks, I appreciate your advise.

I spent this morning gathering various information to bring with me today. Printed out the Blue Book values on the car and my Mustang for Retail and also the same for Trade In. It seems they are asking a bit much for the car, so I should be able to talk them down a bit. Plus he told me yesterday it had been on the lot for a while now.

I'll see what the car is costing them as well and try to negotiate that way.

Anyone else have any input to add before I head down there today?

Quickshift_02GT said:
Thanks, I appreciate your advise.

I spent this morning gathering various information to bring with me today. Printed out the Blue Book values on the car and my Mustang for Retail and also the same for Trade In. It seems they are asking a bit much for the car, so I should be able to talk them down a bit. Plus he told me yesterday it had been on the lot for a while now.

I'll see what the car is costing them as well and try to negotiate that way.

Anyone else have any input to add before I head down there today?

Take it to Wong's Performance Engineering in Vancouver. He is close to you and happens to be the GM Guru in the northwest. I'll try to dig up his contact info. His name is Tom.

Everything went well today, looks like I might be getting the Vette. :D

Haven't taken it anywhere to get it looked at, but the financing is good and the payments are roughly where I want them to be. Going to try and get them a bit lower tomorrow...but hopefully I'll walk out of the dealer with it.

Got them to lower it $2600 off the price they had listed, so had some success.

Thanks guys for your advice, always appreciated. :nice:

Darkness said:
Another one that came over to the dark side. So when will the mods begin?

Not as soon as I had hoped. Had to make a deal with the fiance to start a special "wedding bank account" to stash god knows how much money into before Aug11 next year for our wedding.

She put her foot down and said NO MODS. Period.

We'll see how long she can hold out. :lol:

...going to start with some minor cosmetic stuff first. Definitely going to get a short shift kit and aftermarket shift knob...the stock one is nasty.

Pics soon!

Front.JPG

Front_Right.JPG

Rear_Right.JPG

Rear.JPG

Rear_2.JPG

Inside_Driver.JPG

Engine.JPG

Engine_2.JPG

:hail2: :hail2: :flag:

stangortwo said:
Hey you actually picked up a fairly rare one. They only made FRC (fixed roof coupe) in 1999 and 2000. Did you get heads up display?

Wow, might have to look up the production numbers for this year and see. No, didn't get a heads up display in this. I do want one really bad though, is there a way to purchase it seperate somehow...or a takeoff of a stock one?

headers!!!!!

Suggesting I need to get it them done? I could only hope the fiance would allow it anytime soon. :( From what I've been reading, they are much easier to install than the Mustang headers too.

I have a TON to learn about the Vettes now, been spending all my time researching Mustang tech and such...time to move on to the new toy.

Here's watcha do....tell the fiance that you didn't notice but the exhaust manifolds are rusty, and you are worried about them leaking, or getting rust in the motor. You REALLY need to replace them cuz you don't want anything to go wrong with the car:shrug:
Then wammO! you've got headers :D :D