mechanics+expensive seats=:(

zeusmoto

Feb 15, 2004
utah
alright guys i havent ever heard of a post like this yet. i currently bought some pretty nice racing seats which costed quite a bit of money. well i was wondering what people did to protect their nice seats from the mechanics that dont care about your car as much as you do? a mechanic already broke a plastic part on my seat that covered up some internals, and it pissed me of pretty bad.
SO WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PROTECT MY SEATS?, i dont really want to buy used seats and swap them in every time i need my tires changed, or for whatever reason

• Sponsors (?)

Yea if he messed them up its his fault and he should have the common sense when he sees a nice car obviosly someone enjoys it and take care of it. I work a a body shop and sometimes we'll forget to clean a window or maybe there's some crap on the dash and people do bring it back to get cleaned. Thats what I would do. If you needed surgery on your leg and your leg bent the other direction after the surgery, wouldn't you go back and have them fix it? lol just my 2 cents
Jesse

tell them to put seat covers on them. most mechanical places/oil change places have seat covers for those people with bmws and mercedes that get all pissed if you sit on their seats, even if youre not dirty. or go buy some at a store. you could always put plastic bags over them.

Change your own tires? I have trouble seeing someone I know lean on and all over my leather seats, so I have learned in order for it to be done right without any headache, do it yourself.

That, or seat covers to save stains and such!

thanks guys, well what else. also i have another question, i have a b and m hammerchifter and no mechanic has ever figured out how to do it correctly, i go to pick my car up and it is in drive or reverse, cmon i put directions on how to use it right on my dashboard above the shifter, why do you think people dont listen and what should i do about it?

In the 6 years i've owned my Mustang, i have yet to ever take it anywhere for work. I do everything myself.

If i need to mount some tires or something, i toss the wheels in the back of my dad's pick-up truck and take them there like that.

25thmustang said:
Change your own tires? I have trouble seeing someone I know lean on and all over my leather seats, so I have learned in order for it to be done right without any headache, do it yourself.

That, or seat covers to save stains and such!

:stupid: Yep

25thmustang said:

Amen Brother!!!!!!!!!!!! :nice: :nice: :nice: :nice:

And as for mechanics not figuring out the hammer-shifter...well everyone knows mechanics can't read (j/k) :D

I took my cobra to a local dealer to figure out a random stalling problem. I told them to start it up, let it idle in the parking lot and check on it periodically (it died ever day on me). They called me and said it never stalled out on them. I pick the car up and it has 40 more miles on the odometer than when I dropped it off. Not cool! I lost it and went midevil on the service manager. (I hate having to do that). I might of overlooked it if they had actually figured out the problem.

alrighty guys, i guess for my seats i will just... i dont know i should put a poll up
HOW SHOULD I KEEP MY SEATS SAFE WHEN I TAKE THEM TO A SHOP???
1-PUT PLASTIC BAGS OVER THEM
2-TAKE PICTURES, THEN UNLEASH HELL WHEN MY SEATS GET MESSED UP
3- GET SEAT COVERS
4- LEAVE A NOTE TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT MY SEATS
please leave a number and why you chose it thanks

also what should i do about my tricky shifter?

zeusmoto said:
thanks guys, well what else. also i have another question, i have a b and m hammerchifter and no mechanic has ever figured out how to do it correctly, i go to pick my car up and it is in drive or reverse, cmon i put directions on how to use it right on my dashboard above the shifter, why do you think people dont listen and what should i do about it?

Ha you think that confuses them, bring them an old pickup with a 3 speed. Watch them go backwards over and over again while trying to get the truck in first.

For those of you that dont know a 3 speed stick is like this.

R 2
1 3

I have expensive WHITE seats in my Stang. should I have to drop it off for anything, which I try to avoid, I put a trash bag on the back and one on the seat bottom.

zeusmoto said:

You are supposed to park your car in first gear along with the Parking Brake. But I'm not familar with that shifter, and I'm guessing it is an automatic? Shouldnt everyone know to put it back into Park?

exactly is it an auto not a manual , like the way you are talking about parking. so is anyone gonna take my poll? jeez... mechanics make me mad. ok sonic cherry i have seen tons of pictures of you car. so how well the bags protect it? and what if you get a guy who is a lot larger, then he will sit in it and strech the leather and fabric from being tight to being saggy, and makes it look really cheap i wonder what i should do

People not Respecting other people stuff really bugs me cause I'm sure they would peek if you did the same thing to them they would go nuclear! I just don't understand people some times! .....sorry...... not much advice there just kinda ranting ;)

The mechanic that I go to does better work than a few speed shops I've been to. He puts plastic covers on the seats and floor and puts a plastic thing over the armrest so he can close the door without putting grease all over it. He even gave me a few for when I work on my car at home.