Meziere water pump questions

mijon61

Jun 11, 2002
Toledo Ohio
Has anyone done a before and after install dyno run to see if it really frees up 11-17 horsepower as advertised? Also, when the outside temperature gets above 90 my Cobra seems to lose a power as the temperature rises. Coolant temperature stays in the same spot just like it was 60 out, so no overheating. I read somewhere that there are temperature (and knock) sensors in the head to retard timing. Does the Meziere stop this high outside temperature power loss?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure about how much the water pump will gain you power wise. As far as cooling it will supply about the same circulation as your current pump.

But those nasty knock sensors will eat up the power. I would find a SCT dyno tuner. Do a custom tune on your car and have the knock sensors turned off. This should cost you about 400 including dyno time and will be a much better mod than the water pump for about the same cost.

mijon61 said:
Has anyone done a before and after install dyno run to see if it really frees up 11-17 horsepower as advertised? Also, when the outside temperature gets above 90 my Cobra seems to lose a power as the temperature rises. Coolant temperature stays in the same spot just like it was 60 out, so no overheating. I read somewhere that there are temperature (and knock) sensors in the head to retard timing. Does the Meziere stop this high outside temperature power loss?

Thanks

Well that depends on how much power the stock water pump is robbing from your engine. An electric water pump doesn't add any power of course. By removing the stock water pump, you alleviate some parasitic loss. So, the better question is, how much power does it take to spin the stock water pump on a '01 Cobra? I don't know the answer to this though.... sorry.

As for the sluggish performance when the temperatures rises... We all suffer from that when the temps are 90 and above! Hotter intake air is less dense, thusly your motor makes less power. This is even more evident on FI cars.

U.M.