Might have found myself a cobra

Josh79

Sep 7, 2005
South Dakota
Ok i have been looking for a mustang for a few months now and i have been keeping an eye on this cobra. Its a 99 w/ 90k. It was in an accident but apparently just body damage on the side and it was all fixed and then painted it two tone black top/red bottom. I am waiting for the full details on the accident. The paint looks flawless from the pics.
632413_809527_640.jpg
632413_776413_640.jpg

632413_776415_640.jpg

I have emailed him and he said he will take $9,500 for it. What do you guys think? Also he said he put in a double fisted clutch and bellhousing. I have never heard of a double fisted clutch before. Makes me think he beat on it fairly hard. I will be heading up close to it on thurs so i figure i will go talk with bank etc before i head up and check it out and maybe drive it back. :D

• Sponsors (?)

Is the Cobra you are looking at in South Dakota? If it is it sounds like my old one. I bought it with the damaged on it and had it fixed. It was not to bad fender and rear quarter. I had it for about 2 years and put 10,000 miles on it and sold it to some kid in July. It was a real nice car and I never had any problems with it. I do know that about 3 months after he bought it he did put a clutch in it. Not sure why because it was strong and pulled hard when he bought it. If you need any more information let me know I might even have some pictures of it before it was fixed.

Ya it is in south dakota, but I dont think im gonna get it. I may wait a while and see what comes along around spring time. I keep telling myself to wait since it is winter, but if i find a good deal than i wont hesitate to jump on it. I found a 03 mach 1 that has some body damage that i could get a fair deal on. I got to check into it a little more to see how much it will cost to fix and make sure frame is ok but i am pretty sure it will be it looks like scraped up against something (hard its not a scratch lol)from the passenger door back. Maybe he thought he could fit it in somewhere and it didnt work out. lol
good side
511-0874lf.jpg

bad side
511-0874rf.jpg

It is my old Cobra then don’t know why he selling it all ready. Maybe it had to much power and he got in trouble with it already. It was a nice car and the wheels where new when I sold it. Do you live in South Dakota. I looked at the Mach to it is not too bad. I thought about buying it but I am looking for another Cobra. It is a good idea to find what you want before purchasing it. Good luck with your car hunt.

ya i am in south central south dakota. So ya looked at the mach 1 @ interstate auto center? Do you know if it is just cosmetic (basically passenger door, rear quarter, rear bumper, and maybe the edge of the roof), or is there damage to frame or any mechanics. I think the mach is what i want. Now if it was only white or dsg it would be awesome. I think the white mach 1's look awesome. Ideally i would like a white or dsg mach 1 or cobra... but the red is not a bad color either. I think i would take the 03-04 mach 1 over the edge cobras, now if it was a terminator than that is a different story :D

Thanks for doing that... i dunno about the paint scheme really. I dont mind it but i think id rather have it be one color instead of two tone. I guess i just dont like it on the newer mustangs or maybe it is the combo i dunno, not saying that i hate it i just would rather have it a solid color. Now my pickup will be two tone most likely. I dunno about the "double fisted clutch", but it apparently requires a new bellhousing... now if it was a "double footed clutch" i would jump on the deal :shrug: Well im gonna go work on the pickup and think about it.

Josh79 said:
Thanks for doing that... i dunno about the paint scheme really. I dont mind it but i think id rather have it be one color instead of two tone. I guess i just dont like it on the newer mustangs or maybe it is the combo i dunno, not saying that i hate it i just would rather have it a solid color. Now my pickup will be two tone most likely. I dunno about the "double fisted clutch", but it apparently requires a new bellhousing... now if it was a "double footed clutch" i would jump on the deal :shrug: Well im gonna go work on the pickup and think about it.

No sweat. :nice:

If you have doubts, do not do it and hate yourself for it later.

If the paint is done in a nice quality fashion, I think it's something unique and set apart from the herd of every other Stang. My $0.02.

Ernad said:
Newer headlights + brakelights, black FR500s, H&Rs, nice tire and that thing would be :drool:

ya it would look better like that. Ya it does set it apart. Maybe if i got check it out in person i will change my mind :shrug: ...

Another thing i was thinking with the mach 1 was if the repairs are lower than i think they will be and since i will have to basically have almost half of the car painted i will see how much more it would cost to repaint the whole thing. Make it a white mach 1 or maybe do a different color that they never made a mach 1 (maybe a dark highland green :shrug:). If i go white maybe do the mach 1 stripes in a "ghost" effect or something to set it apart. I will definately do some major thinking about different ideas with the paint if i do end up with the mach. Just had a thought... i always like tangelo stripes on white so maybe do tangelo instead of the black, or do a white with some metalic or pearl in it. Something subtle to distinguish it. Although i live in a small town and there are no mach 1's, but most of the mustangs are red.

Well knighthawk did some work on some pics for me. Here are two of them what do you guys think white/tangelo stripes etc
marks140whiteorange.jpg

black w/ tangelo stripes etc.
finalcopy.gif

I dont think there is any other mach 1 like that... lol. its so unusual that i think i actually like it.:jaw:

Attachments

• marks140whiteorange.jpg
    marks140whiteorange.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 76
  • finalcopy.gif
    finalcopy.gif
    117.4 KB · Views: 100
Ya i like the white/tangelo combo better too. I was just wondering what i would do with the stripe on the hood and spoiler... whether to make them tangelo or black. I think i would keep them black. The black/tangelo looks pretty damn unique though that is for sure. Now i got to think about rims. So many choices....

Josh79 said:
Ya it is in south dakota, but I dont think im gonna get it. I may wait a while and see what comes along around spring time. I keep telling myself to wait since it is winter, but if i find a good deal than i wont hesitate to jump on it. I found a 03 mach 1 that has some body damage that i could get a fair deal on. I got to check into it a little more to see how much it will cost to fix and make sure frame is ok but i am pretty sure it will be it looks like scraped up against something (hard its not a scratch lol)from the passenger door back. Maybe he thought he could fit it in somewhere and it didnt work out. lol
good side
511-0874lf.jpg

bad side
511-0874rf.jpg
does it have a clean title? that will be the #1 factor in buying this car. if it has a salvage title, you will only get 33%-50% of the value of a clean title car if/when you sell it. most banks will not loan on a salvage title either.

with that said, lets look at the damage. the car is unibody construction. when that 1/4 got hit, it took the b-pillar in with it. this will require a frame machine to repair. most frame labor rates are over $60/hour, depending on where you live. you also need and entire door shell. look closely to the front hinge pillar for damage when the door is open (if you can even open it). if you see any areas that dont look quite right, or cracked paint, that pillar is damaged also. add a few more $$ to the total price. you would have to remove the headlight and front bumper for paint when you blend the fender. obviously the outer 1/4 is toast. the inner structure might be hammered also. if you are unsure about what to look for, take someone with you who does know. if you are inexperienced with body repairs, trust me, you are better off not buying it then geting stuck with something that will take twice as much $$ to fix compared to buing one w/o damage.

i am an ASE certified master collision repair/refinishing technician. take my word for it, there is more damage there than you can see without a proper teardown and inspection.

EDIT: it also looks like the rear end was replaced. you could not have had that damage down the side and rear bumper and not have hit the wheel--HARD!!

Here is a different angle on the damage
511-0874rr.jpg
I am fairly sure the title is clean. The mach 1 is at a dealer that just deals w/ repairables/thefts etc. There is an "independent" frame shop and body shop by the dealer. So i was thinking if i talk to them on the phone and it sounds like it may be worth it i could go over there and have the frame shop and body shop inspect it and give me an estimate on it. I didnt think of the wheel getting hit... So what do you think it would cost. Worst case would it be over 5k?