Missing Smog Pump

DaveRog

5 Year Member
Nov 18, 2017
Our 94 GT, bought this year, has 108k miles and is all stock. While replacing the water pump I discovered that the smog pump was removed by the previous owner. All of the related plumbing is still there, just the pump is gone.
The car seems to run just fine, there is no check engine light on.
Other threads talk about clogged cats with no air pump.
Cars prior to 96 are not tested here in Illinois. Should I replace the missing pump and hope the cats are OK?
What about a new h pipe and no cats. With 108k aren't they just about used up anyway?

• Sponsors (?)

The risk of clogging is said to be higher with no AIR pump, though I expect burning oil or coolant, or running rich, would have a lot more impact than the missing AIR injection. I personally wouldn't worry about the missing pump, they're reasonably expensive, used ones aren't far from failing too, and my lack of one never caused any emissions testing problems (they do tailpipe test where I am). The cats would likely still be fully functional at 108k -- I also wouldn't remove them if everything is running fine because then you WILL fail testing if it comes to your town, it would be a violation of federal law - however unlikely you'd ever be prosecuted, and you may remove some residual resale value from the car (while possibly making it run less fine in the process as the SN95 computer doesn't always like changes unless it's tuned for them). If you did replace the H-pipe I'd still get one with cats - nice 3-way high-flow cats with no AIR requirement. They're cheap, good for the environment (and the driver as your exhaust won't stink of fuel), and will keep your car fully legal. No reason not to on a stock car.

Never heard of cats clogging because there is no air pump. All it does is warm the cats up faster. After about 10 minutes, it serves no purpose. The factory smog pumps were a crap design, and seized all the time, which is likely why it was removed. I wouldn't even sweat it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you stumble across a good deal on a pump you can toss one back on but I would go too much out of the way.

The air provided by the pump is necessary for efficient conversion of the various exhaust components and would be needed to pass emissions if you ever found yourself moving to an area that had them.

I'd put an electric one on from a 2000 Cobra R before I ever put a stock one back on. The stock one is just an eventual piggy back ride when it seizes and leaves you on the side of the road with a burnt up belt.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user