Motor Trend Info on the new Boss mustang

03 SVT VERT

Jun 7, 2004
Not sure how reliable they are, but I thought the information was worth mentioning:

Word is plans for annual releases of special edition models like the Bullitt were axed by former product chief Phil Martens.

The only one that survives is the Boss. It will have the 5.4L from Shelby GT500 minus the supercharger. Stripped down interior and options package will keep weight down (and hopefully cost) and performance up.

• Sponsors (?)

Well the Mach 1 was an almost $6,000 package, so figure on the new Boss (the Mach 1 replacement) being around the same. So I would think the MSRP would be low to mid $30,000 range.

The Mach 1 wasn't stripped, however. If the Boss doesn't have more than 400hp then I might be considering the new Camaro (if Chevy doesn't F it up and if it actually gets built). Buuuut I'd trade in my GT for a Boss.

if it had 375hp and 365tq i'd buy one, a 5.4 makes 365lbft of torque without flexing a muscle and i'm sure if they put some good heads on one 375 engine hp wouldnt be to difficult.
Damn that would be sweet BOSS 331 on the side and shaker hood option would be the iceing on the cake.Oh and throw in a six speed and an agressive rearend(say 3.73s)to help out that naturally aspirated power :)

I hope they build this car, it would a nice bone to throw those of us who can't pay $10k over MSRP for a GT500. Downer is I bet it won't come in a vert though. The supreme leader (my 6 yo daughter) has spoken and she wants a mustang with no lid on it.

67&05STANGS said:
I work for Ford and they are working on a new engine for the Boss Mustang. It is going to be a 6.2 Litre. I don't know the horsepower or torque but it is Fords answer to the Chrysler and GM 6 plus litre engines.

That's not the Hurricane they canned last year is it?

The 5.4L in the 2000 Cobra R made 385 hp and from what I've heard the new heads are better than what was on the R, so I would think they should be able to get atleast 390hp from a N/A 5.4L.

Wouldnt that HP rating cut into the Shelby GT500 market? Oh wait they're all gone...Well what about the ugly Shelby V6...Oh wait thats ugly. Well if it has a 6L in it I'm pre ordering and getting that son-bitch as soon as possible.

Pliskin said:
Wouldnt that HP rating cut into the Shelby GT500 market? Oh wait they're all gone...Well what about the ugly Shelby V6...Oh wait thats ugly. Well if it has a 6L in it I'm pre ordering and getting that son-bitch as soon as possible.

Amen Brud'ah!

But my guess is that they'll stick with the 5.4. With cost cuts all over the place I think they'll stick with what they have already with just a few minor tweaks. A new 6L just sounds too... money demanding for Ford.

Anyone have any idea what the production numbers would possibly be for the Boss? :shrug:

torqueIT said:
Anyone have any idea what the production numbers would possibly be for the Boss? :shrug:

My guess would be around the same as the Cobra, between 7,000 and 10,000. That completely depends on if they are going to make it a limited edition like the Mach 1/Bullitt or a full production car. My guess is it will be another limited.

03 SVT VERT said:
My guess would be around the same as the Cobra, between 7,000 and 10,000. That completely depends on if they are going to make it a limited edition like the Mach 1/Bullitt or a full production car. My guess is it will be another limited.

Great, means at least a 10k markup, and they'll be sold out the first week they're ordering. Man, this sucks (if its true).

How is Ford going to sell this with SVT dead? That seriously makes me a sad Ford owner. SVT is all Ford had to go against SRT and SS. But its ok. Soon they'll phase out the Mustang and we can all buy the brand new Ford Fairlane. Hell yeah! :notnice:

With the Camaro, Challenger, and 2dr Charger coming out I dont think Ford is going to stay in the performance market much longer. Hell, the new SRT4 is going to be more powerful than the GT (even though it only has an i4 its turbo).They need to reinvent SVT and bring the Cobra back under it, a supercharged Focus ST, and a new Lightning. Screw this Hybrid crap. They better not screw up this Boss or Mustang is going the way of the F-Bodys.

1meanZ said:
That's not the Hurricane they canned last year is it?

Rumors are flying that the 6.2L V8 project is still alive. What has gotten the buzz going again was info. posted on a UAW web site that said Cleveland Casting Plant was bidding on the "6.2L V8 Boss engine block".

Perhaps the "6.2L Boss" is the resurection of the Hurricane.

The boss name is interesting in that during the Hurricane rumor days, the 6.2L was purported to be primarily a truck engine. But then again the 5.4L is primarily a truck engine too.

03 SVT VERT said:
Yup, Fords not dumb. Sell as many as you can for as much as you can as long as people are willing to buy it.:D

Ford as a company IS dumb, due to executive mangement just looking out for themselves (whoop, need a pay raise, time to dump a few more thousand hard working people, or whoop, created another crappy car no one wants and didn't make a profit, bye bye middle class workers). :nono:

GM's obviously worse. Not only do they drop their work force, but for the ones who busted their butts for decades, the likelyhood of seeing a full pension is getting less and less (they already killed off existing pension plans). :notnice:

Why else are foriegn manufacturers making inroads into the passenger car market? Simple, they look better, drive better, last longer, have better gas milage, and retain their value better. They're even made in America (so don't use that old arguement anymore).

OK, rant over. :bang:

torqueIT said:
Ford as a company IS dumb, due to executive mangement just looking out for themselves (whoop, need a pay raise, time to dump a few more thousand hard working people, or whoop, created another crappy car no one wants and didn't make a profit, bye bye middle class workers). :nono:

GM's obviously worse. Not only do they drop their work force, but for the ones who busted their butts for decades, the likelyhood of seeing a full pension is getting less and less (they already killed off existing pension plans). :notnice:

Why else are foriegn manufacturers making inroads into the passenger car market? Simple, they look better, drive better, last longer, have better gas milage, and retain their value better. They're even made in America (so don't use that old arguement anymore).

OK, rant over. :bang:

Sad but true. :nonono: