Move to big block

nbolmer

Nov 20, 2005
Hello. Currently I own a 67 mustang (coupe) with a 289 / auto tranny. I'm ready to pull out the old engine for something bigger, but I'm not sure which direction I'd like to go.

1. This is not my daily driver (my 02 GT is...)
2. I would like to build something around the 480-540 hp range... ish...
3. This is a for-looks, for-fun, restomod.
4. I'd like to use an enderle injector / blower with this setup
5. I'm not rushing this. I'd like to do this from a longblock (maybe even a shortblock).

My current thinking is between a 351 stroker, a 427 or 428. I'm sure the motor mounts would need to be swapped with the big block, and most likely the tranny as well. What else? Are the plugs difficult to get to in the big block? Regular maintenance issues? Money IS an object, but it's just one factor. I don't want to spend 10k for a prebuilt motor.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

lotsa options...

1967 was the 1st year of the big block for the Mustang, thus introducing the 390GT engine.
That means that anything in that engine family will fit.... 390GT, 427, 428 though yes, it is tight to change plugs, but you should only need to do so once per year.
Another quite viable option to big block type power is a small block stroker such as a 351W stroked to 408. Add to this a set of bolt-on Edelbrock Aluminum heads and you've got 450hp to 500hp easily, without the extreme cost of a blower, and quite reliable ! The advantage with this combo is that it fits your existing exhaust, tranny, engine mounts, etc etc and does not overload the front end with unwanted extra weight inherant with a big block engine, which deteriorates handling & braking.
These can be bought as "Crate" engines or you can just buy the stroker kit and do the rebuild yourself locally (may be cheaper).
Make sure you buy a Kit from a "known" stroker company such as Coast High Performance, and get a Forged steel crank, a cast crank won't last long.
http://www.coasthigh.com/

e-mail me if you have any more questions.
Steve (Mach1steve)
[email protected]
www.muggziperformance.com

first decide what you want from this car. if all you want is a fast car in a straight line, then i say build a 460/C6 combo and swap it in. if you want it to go around corners like a boss 302, but still be fast in a straight line, then build an aluminum headed 351w based engine and what ever trans you want, mine gets a top loader 4spd for now, but i will also have cast iron heads on mine.

I agree with the 408 stroker. It would be badass if you could go with a Dart 351W block. But that is an expencive block. I forgot the retail on it, but I know a machine shop here localy that has one for $2,000 (also where I got a $1,500 shortblock for $900). I forgot what CID he said you could bore and stroke it to but i think it is substancially(sp?) larger. Ever thought about a Dart block?

Tyler

My heart will always tell me 460/c6 but my brain will always go DUH 427 windsor or cleveland. I think if you go the stroker route yes it will fit his exhaust, tranny, mounts, but none of it will hold up to the stroker if its all stocker/orginal stuff.

In the end I say go 427 windsor, lots of parts and tons of hp/torque with out sacrificing weight of the mighty 460.

Thanks for the opnions! A couple more questions:
Exhaust is going to be swapped out anyway, and the motor mounts I'm not so worried about. The tranny would be a fairly large deal, which is one of my main sticking points. On the other hand, I'm not sure my stock C4 is up to 500hp- I was thinking AOD...

351's + stroker kits seem pretty readily available. 428's and 460's I can't even seem to find shortblocks of at all... gigantic displacement on a saturday cruiser sure would be fun though... still fighting internally. Seems like the same HP thru a bigblock would be much cheaper. As far as handling goes, I know that top heavy big blocks are notorious. I plan on redoing the suspension as well. Nothing on the order of a griggs kit (drool) but enough that it corners OK. I'm not racing this car, I'd like it nimble, but it doesn't have to be crazy nimble.

Dark Knight: an enderle injector blower requires priming? I had no idea that was true. My issue is that I've always had a thing for the look, butterflies opening and all- I considered a street catcher solution (http://www.alsblowers.com/streetcatcher.html), but then decided that was kind of lame. Am I wrong? Also, cost-wise, the enderle setups don't seem so incredibly expensive... are there costs I'm leaving out? special cams, etc...?

351W stroked to 393 is Cheap build up!! Cast crankshaft/H beam rods/ dished pistons.. then the rest is bolt in!! and 450 from a 393 is pretty easy... puff it and there is a lot more!! I really dont like the real long stroked engines... 5000-5500 rpm is really too low for me.. and the 393 will see 7500 and live well!!

I did the 429/C6 swap in the 70's into my 67 fastback ( Thumper) and it IS do able!! 390/428 engine mounts, the C6 trans mount need to hammer the tunnel for the tall vines on the C6 !! Crites sells a template to mod the shock towers to help get to the plugs.. I didnt do that , however... then I chopped the towers... then I put a 4 " drop axel and removed all the inner front metal..

The car went a 12.20 in the 1970s with a bone stock 429 and "crimped up" headers ( I used Hooker for a 71 Mustang 429 car) and iron intake ad 780 holley!! I still have the fastback and the big block.. but is is a few more cubes and a toploader liberty geared trans!!

Have fun..

Just me.................................

Thumper

I might be pulling my 347 and dropping a 428 into it instead. I LOVE torque. My benz puts close to 600 Ft. lbs and there is nothing like the feeling of being smashed into the seat.

GO BIG

I'd go with the FE. You can stroke an FE with a scat 4 1/4 crank for not big dollars. Edelbrok heads will take some weight off and it will be very reliable and last longer than a small stroker and have tons of torque. Yoe are going to have to upgrade the tranny eitherway.

Yeah, if you go FE, get a 390 and put a 4.125 or 4.25 stroke crank. The rod journals are BBC size and use 6.7" rods. Edelbrock heads and a Performer RPM and it won't weigh anymore than an iron headed 351W. But the conversion will be pricey. Your best bet is a 331/347 stroker kit ($1150-$1600) thrown into a 302 block, a set of aluminum heads (AFR 185 CnC $1350 assm) and a centrifugal blower (pricing around $3000) such as a Paxton, Vortech, or my favorite, the Procharger. You can get a Comp C4 from PA for $1450. That's about $7500 there unless you buy used or find some deals.