Msd distributor ?

• Sponsors (?)

Well it never hurts.. ;) But beware. The MSD "drop in" distributors, a lot of them aren't drop in. I bought one for my ride and couldnt use it. Still have the stocker in there. The distributor's main shaft around the gear was too long and wouldnt let the distributor seat properly. Had to be cut, but I didnt want to void any potential warranty.

Humm, I have the billet distributor and just droped right in. I love MSD stuff, works great. I also have the MSD ignition box, and the taylor pro wires(the big fatty ones). I never have had any problem for 2 yrs running. The only thing is I have to change my cap and rotor often, cuz the ignition is so powerful it tends to burn them up rather quickly.

Steve

OrLackThereof said:
Well it never hurts.. ;) But beware. The MSD "drop in" distributors, a lot of them aren't drop in. I bought one for my ride and couldnt use it. Still have the stocker in there. The distributor's main shaft around the gear was too long and wouldnt let the distributor seat properly. Had to be cut, but I didnt want to void any potential warranty.

The issue you are refering to commonly happens when a ARP oil pump driveshaft is being used. If you are using a different shaft I have never seen the problem happen..

On another note I have never gained anything by using a MSD and I saw Zero HP increase or decrease between it and stocker.. So I sold my MSD and threw the stocker back in.. Just make sure it's cleaned up and working correctly...

ive talked to many mech b4 i started beefing up my spark, and everyone said that the stock 5.0 ditribitor can take a real beating, they also were tellin gme they ran mustangs up to 800 to 900 hp on a stock distibitor and had no problem, but they did say a new coil and a msn ignition box would help greatfully.

The only reason I have a MSD is because I needed a small base distributor to work with my intake.
One thing I do like is the whole MSD setup. I use the pro billet distributor, Digital 6+ and Blaster 2 coil. Its a mechanical advance, so I just locked it out and elminated any advance to it, and then set the Digital 6+ to the start/retard feature. Even with the distributor locked out the car starts great.
But it did bolt right in. No problems with it at all.