Mustang II front suspension questions

wicked93gs

15 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
well, I just ordered a mustang II front suspension conversion so I can use a DOHC 4.6L engine, I'm sure the kit will be here within a week or two...I have a couple questions though...

1. I did not get coilovers...simply because I dont see myself adjusting ride height all the time, however, I would like it to sit lower than stock....so I was considering cutting the mustang II springs...anyone have any idea if I would cut the same amount as if I was cutting stock 66 springs?

2. I'm still looking for suggestions on extra bracing for the front end....maybe I can run a brace from the firewall, under the fenders, then down to the frame rails? any pictures of any extra bracing would be cool.

3. This has nothing to do with the mustang II suspension, but my 66 was a GT, with front disc brakes from the factory....just curious as to what these setups are going for these days...would like to make some of my money back out this deal, which will fund me getting new fenders and a hood

• Sponsors (?)

what conversion did you get?
I wouldn't cut the springs it'll make it ride hard.
Heres my setup.
273145.jpg

I was going to install my 532ci last week but ran into part problems. Maybe tomorrow.

I got a Heidts kit, I always hear good things about them, and in the end I got it for the same price as one of the cheaper kits(mainly because I didnt want coilovers I guess) I dont mind a stiffer ride...as long as its not too stiff...is it possible perhaps to use some V6 mustang II springs and cut them? possibly ending up with a spring rate and stiffness similar to the v8 springs? maybe its possible just to use some coilover springs and adjusters, instead of getting new shocks too...? also....do you think its possible to run some bracing under the fender and down to the fame rails, keeping it out of sight...not that I mind the sight of them so much as I want as much room in the engine bay as possible...kinda tired of working in tight places, also if you could a picture of the ride height after you install your engine would be nice too...did you get coilovers?

before you start cutting springs, get the suspension installed first. you never know it might ride just where you want it. if you do decide to cut the springs, cut a 1/4 coil at a time until you get the ride height you want. you can start with the V6 springs, in fact they are a good choice for your car as light as it is.

well, yeah I was going to get it all installed first and give it a few weeks to settle, as for the v6 springs...a possibility(I'd have to buy some, assuming stock MII springs will work with the kit) but the 4.6L DOHC engine is only 5lbs lighter than the 5.0L/302....so I assume the same springs would be needed, or rather the same rate springs(once coil cutting is done anyway) right now I'm just trying to figure out options when that point comes

Here's what I did to reinforce the front end in my 67 coupe. I ran the brace from the corner of the firewall to the frame right in front of the springs. I also fabricated some additional bracing that connects to the inner fender so there would be something substantial to attach an export brace to.

MIIbraces.jpg

There are more pictures in the MII thread that Reenmachine started last year.

Thats interesting. I have the R&C set up in my 68 and it has 2" dropped spindles and the car is really low. I believe I will have to swap them for the regular spindles because it sits to low.
ken

that is weird...maybe R&C has a lower control arm mounting point...or maybe a lower x-member? I guess I'll find out when I get it installed...hopefully I wont have to cut springs at all...but who knows...it may be too low then and I'll have to find taller springs