Mustang tuning wheels

THE BOMB

May 17, 2005
Thinking about getting a set of mustang tuning wheels. What does everyone think about having to run wheel spacers up front? Is this a safe practice? Did someone Eff-up in the design? Should I wait for a redesign?

THE BOMB

• Sponsors (?)

Why would you need wheel spacers?
If you want the wheels to stick out, just buy wheels with the wrong offset. There are plenty of them out there.
Look for any wheels with less than a +30mm offset and they'll stick out plenty.
Any of the pre-'05 Mustang wheels will give you that since they are +24mm.

THE BOMB said:
Stangnut, look at Mustang tuning.com's deep dish 2005 wheels, they all come with wheel spacers to clear the brake calipers. Did someone eff up?

Someone messed up on the backspacing - spacers should not be needed. What puzzles me is that the wheels should work on the front with the backspacing they have listed, unless they are counting their spacers with the backspacing dimension they give (18x9 - +36mm). I have 19x9s on the front with a +35mm offset and they work just fine. Must really be a +30mm and the 1/4" spacers add another ~6.25mm. Brilliant engineering. :nonono:

i have the wheels...they look great with the spacers. They are correcting the problem so if you dont want the spacers just wait they will be out soon. From what i was told when the fit the car for the wheels they used a v6 which has smaller calipers so the wheel his the caliper. I also used a 7/32 spacer not a 1/4 and it fits perfect. here is a link to a postr of mine on another forum there are a bunch of pics in this post http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=31511&st=20#

Like everyone's already said, yes, they screwed up. I assume it's pretty hard to make a deep dish wheel with a +36mm offset.
But I can tell you my FR500's have a +36mm offset and mine clear the calipers just fine. They're made by the same company that makes those deep dish bullitts.

they didn't screw up they took a rim designed for a different car (different offset) and "fixed" it to work with the 05 by using spacers, I personaly would rather have rims with the correct offset for an 05 but we all make our decisions

No, those rims have a +36mm offset. That was done specifically for the '05.
The rims you're refering to for the pre-'05 Mustangs have a + 24mm offset.
The problem is in the way the deep dish Bullits are designed. The rest of their '05 specific wheels (made by the same company) fit just fine.

Stangnut said:
But I can tell you my FR500's have a +36mm offset and mine clear the calipers just fine. They're made by the same company that makes those deep dish bullitts.
So your FR500's fit okay? Do you have a pic? I was thinking of those but the offset is what's stopping me.

Yes. They fit. At first I was worried about the offset too. And when I put them on, I thought I made the wrong decision because it looked like they stuck out too much in the rear. Then I realized it was only the driver's side rear tire that was out too much.
I'm sure you've read where a lot of people have installed an adjustable panhard bar when they lower the car in order to re-center the rear end. Well, it's not the lowering that makes the rear end off-center. It's the factory. A LOT of Mustangs have come from the factory that way. It's just more noticable when the car's lowered or you put on wider wheels and tires. That was the case with mine. Once I had the dealership make a small adjustment to re-center the rear end they looked perfect.

Here's one of the latest pics. The second pic shows how they looked before I had the dealer fix it.

gallery_1655_35_7270.jpg

gallery_1655_35_145316.jpg

Thanks for the replys. I decided to go with Ruff Racing 279's, Hyper blacks, almost look like black chrome centers. I'll post pics when the car is done, 2-3 months, I'm not giving away any of my secrets till it's completed. I'm shooting for a totally different look. In the mean time can someone tell me how to register to show pics.
Thanks.

THE BOMB