My 89 Lx Project

SwampDog35

Jul 10, 2017
I've recently purchased a pretty decent car. The guy before me had great intentions as so it appears.
After a few cruise nights at local clubs and a few trips around our area. I think its time to start my own vision of my car.

Here are a few pictures of it currently.

First and Foremost is to get the A/C fixed. Living here in Southeast Louisiana is BRUTAL without it during the summer.

Everything he did below:
Car has a BBK X Pipe to Jones Full Boar exhaust installed.
3.73 Gears
Drake Diff cover
Pro 5.0 Short Shifter
Stage 2 Ram Clutch
New Front and Rear Brakes and Pads
Upper and lower control Arms
Sub-Frame Connectors
Rear Upper and lower sway bars
Front Lower and Upper sway bars
New Struts and Shocks
SVE Performance Springs
Saleen Rims (Front and Rear)
IMG_1017.JPG
Mustang2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

IMG_1021.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1082.JPG
Start of my list are:

Fix the AC with a 134A swap.
Fix a small leak towards the rear end (Hopefully just a gasket issue)
Fix the Hood Latch
Replace the Seat Belts
Replace the Trim that appears worn
Fix and Repair the Sunroof (PlastiDiped coating)
Replace the Shocks and Struts with something a little more stiff (I'm a big boy)
Install below items to give it a little more pep:
Parts given with the purchase of the car not installed are:
BBK Shorty Headers
BBK 70mm Throttle Body
Under-Drive Pulleys

Any and all advice are fully acceptable for suggestions on installing any of the parts above. Because I'm not sure if I should install them or not without affecting anything else.

My wife and I just want a reliable car to cruise to Cruise nights and Car shows around our area.
Long term would be to upgrade the HP, but not at this time.

Thanks to all that offer suggestions or comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Nice looking ride!

I wouldn't recommend the under drive pulleys as they can cause over heating and charging issues. I also wouldn't install the throttle body. It's really too big for your setup and the real restriction is in that 55mm MAF sensor. The headers will not hurt anything and may give you a H.P. or 2.

I would look at adjustable shocks and struts like the Koni Sports.

I second that under drive pulley thing dan02gt said. They're not worth running hotter.

That car looks like a great starting point !!!

Thank you all for the comments. I will take the advice on the UDP's and the Throttle Body.

My biggest thing currently is fixing the AC and finding the leak in the rear end.

My speedometer is off as well and that's on my list as well to fix.

I bounce around from 280 to 300 depending on the time of the year, So yeah I don't want that "Bounce" either. Thank you Jersey Joe.

More to come.

Ditch the UD pullies, check and replace rubber bushings throughout the car which will help with improving ride comfort somewhat, upgrade your alternator to a 3g from LMR. Are your shorty headers ceramic coated or chrome? I highly recommend ceramic over chrome! My ceramic BBK longtube headers still look new after 2 years and about 1,000 miles of driving. Chrome will not hold up as well and if you're doing any Cars n' Coffee meets and Ice Cream runs where you park and pop your hood the chrome won't be so appealing after several heat cycles and will eventually rust.

BTW, nice clean Fox!

You have a nice looking and with a good starting point on mods so just drive it and enjoy it.

Regarding your extra parts, like others have mentioned I would install the shorty headers it'll compliment the mid and catback setup.

Upgrading the throttle body isn't going to gain you anything with a stock motor and will more the likely cost you some low end torque. Either sell it or keep to compliment future modifications you may have planned.

Under drive pullies are often grouped together with the list of things not to do.. I personally never had a problem with running them but I knew what I was getting into before installing them. So do your research on them first and see if it's worth the 2 or 3 possibly hp. I personally given your need for the car and mod list wouldn't waste the time but if you do swap them out. They will show you if your cooling and charging systems are not up to snuff quickly.