My clutch is Smoked.... What should I get?

JimBowy

Nov 8, 2003
Downriver, Mi
Well guys, last night I brought the car out to the drag strip... times were ****ty all night and after burnouts and running I noticed the clutch was slipping noticably worse... After my 5th run of the night I noticed my clutch felt totally out of adjustment after picking up my slip. The clutch is at the very top of the pedal and is very short!

Needless to say I'm pretty sure I'll be needing a new clutch/flywheel/throw-out-bearing/bolts.....

I had a few guys suggest a King Cobra clutch but I've also heard of Centerforce clutches.... I want something that can handle more horsepower I eventually plan on throwing into the car....

One more thing, could I use some flywheel/clutch combination with this 302 with a 351 (if I do go that route).

• Sponsors (?)

Lets see if I can bring this thread back to life... :shrug:

I've decided to go for the Centerforce Dual Friction vs. the King Cobra.

If someone could just review this list, let me know if this covers everything I could need??? I want to do this right the first time and not again for a LONG time....

- Centerforce Dual Friction Kit (Clutch Disc/Pressure Plate)
- Centerforce Throw-Out Bearing
- Pressure Plate Bolt and Dowel Kit
- Roller Pilot Bearing
- FRPP Cast Iron Flywheel
- Alignment Tool

Note the bolt/dowel kit... I was told I should just go for new bolts.... I assume this is what the people were talking about??? (pressure plate bolts)

What do you think? Am I totally covered...?

JimBowy said:
Lets see if I can bring this thread back to life... :shrug:

I've decided to go for the Centerforce Dual Friction vs. the King Cobra.

If someone could just review this list, let me know if this covers everything I could need??? I want to do this right the first time and not again for a LONG time....

- Centerforce Dual Friction Kit (Clutch Disc/Pressure Plate)
- Centerforce Throw-Out Bearing
- Pressure Plate Bolt and Dowel Kit
- Roller Pilot Bearing
- FRPP Cast Iron Flywheel
- Alignment Tool

Note the bolt/dowel kit... I was told I should just go for new bolts.... I assume this is what the people were talking about??? (pressure plate bolts)

What do you think? Am I totally covered...?

other parts to consider: rear main seal (i like teflon). steel bearing retainer and pivot ball. some do trans output bearing and seal when the trans is out of the car.
i would read some reviews on the TOB. many many people have had issues with TOB's being noisy in short order. good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
other parts to consider: rear main seal (i like teflon). steel bearing retainer and pivot ball. some do trans output bearing and seal when the trans is out of the car.
i would read some reviews on the TOB. many many people have had issues with TOB's being noisy in short order. good luck.

Someone also suggested the "cluth fork" or something of that sort... how about it? :shrug:

And what firewall adjustable clutch/cable do you guys like?

I've been running a Ram clutch 2 twice now with no problems. With the first clutch I was lunching with Sportsman pros @4,000 Rpms. I had over 15 launches with the clutch on the sportsmans (hardcore launches...).

fred

JimBowy said:
Someone also suggested the "cluth fork" or something of that sort... how about it? :shrug:

And what firewall adjustable clutch/cable do you guys like?
clutch fork could be good. basically i would look at all the dynamic parts when in there and check them. the ball and fork might be alright - but if you want to renew most of the stuff, as it sounds like (for hopefully troublefree performance), a new fork would be good.

ask 20 people which FWA they like and you will get 20 answers. my two cents worth: i would retain a non adjustable stock style cable, a decent FWA of your choice and quadrant of your choice. for FWA's look for a locking design (so it cant 'unadjust' itself). quadrant, you cant go too wrong. some like the single hook 'racing' quadrants (Tom comes to mind). most go with a 2 hook design.

or if you dont want a FWA, the only adjustable cable i might try would be a FRPP adjustable cable.
the alignment of the cable from quadrant to firewall needs to be spot on, or a stiff pedal can result.

good luck.

i have a king cobra clutch and so does my buddy who has a 91 gt. hes got a holley systemax II kit with nitrous and the clutch holds perfectly fine. the same clutch in my car is more than enough....i have beat on that thing with all my car can give it and it doesnt slip at all. i wanted a spec clutch really badly for a while until i started to hear stories about how they chattered pretty badly for some people. i have never had a problem at all with the king cobra. it was a little stiff for about 50 miles and than it is a lot lighter pedal effort than the centerforce clutch that was in there. just my opinion though