My GT Search Continues

u6crash

Apr 5, 2005
Chicago, IL
Two weeks ago I drove a black 99 GT and liked it, but wasn't too keen on the color and the manual transmission seemed like too much work to me.

This weekend I went and test drove a 2002 GT. Could have sworn it was an automatic when I saw it online and it turned out to be a manual. I test drove it anyway and loved it! It was a GT Deluxe in Mineral Gray. The only thing I disliked was a quarter size chip in the passenger door that had been touched up with a paint pen and a couple small chips on the driver side door. It was a one owner car with a clean Carfax and 83k miles. My dad tells me that for the age and price, the cosmetic blemishes aren't really a big deal and shouldn't stop me from getting a car like that. However, neither of us were too impressed with the car dealer. They claimed to not know about the lower price on AutoTrader and later claimed it was being sold on consignment. AutoTrader listed it at $10,977 and the most they would come down is $10,300. Funny thing is that I might have taken it at $10,000.

So, I came home and searched some more. Found another 02 GT in Mineral Gray with 44k miles, two owner car, for $11,900. It's not the Deluxe, but I went to go check it out. When I go there, the car wasn't there; presumably with a dealer who had the day off. They said they could have it there next weekend and give me a call.

A couple questions: The Deluxe has the Mach 460 with 6 CD changer. The other has a Mach Mp3. I can't tell what kind of speaker setup the Mach Mp3 has, but is it still a pretty good system? I haven't been able to dig up the specs on it just yet. The only other perceptible differences I found were the wheels (I do like the Deluxe wheels better) and the pedals. What else makes the Deluxe better?

I don't think either of these cars is going anywhere just yet, unless I've just tipped off another buyer in the Chicagoland area, I don't think February is the month most folks go looking for a Mustang.

Thanks again for all the help, it is much appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Mach 460 has a 6 disc CD changer and has a little nicer sound. My old 02 V6 had this and I loved it, nice bass and clear sound. My Cds always got stuck in it though. The regular has single disc and dosent sound as good. This what my GT has now, its alright but Im not a huge audio fan anyways. As long as it comes in clear im happy. If you are looking into upgrading your stereo this is the better one to have because its a pain to get the 460 to work with aftermarket equipment. Even upgrading a deck on the 460 is a bitch from what Ive heard.

There realy is not much of a difference between the mustang pakages, as far as basic, deluxe and premium goes. I have an 04 GT with the basic pkg which cames with the Ugly 5 star wheels and regular Mach system. Mine did come with the IUP (Interior Upgrade Pkg) which comes with nicer head rests, and little cosmetic items, like a silver colored trim ring, silve door locks, and different pedals.

Basicaly most people cant tell wich pkg the car has by looking at the car, other than rims but 99.9 % of the people on here upgrade rims anyways. Either one you get will be nice.

Good Luck and post picks when you get one !

Thanks for the info! I think if the basic GT has less cosmetic damage and drives just as well that I will go for it. I don't like the wheels as much and I doubt I'll bother to upgrade much on the car right away. I love music, but I'm not an audiophile. I'm sure anything that works will be better than the sound I get out of my little Tempo now.

Good luck with the search....wheels can always be replaced, you'll probably want something wider in the back eventually anyways. If you're at all into adding aftermarket stereo equipment...its easier to avoid the Mach systems all together. I'm thinking the leather was standard on the premium versions too if you like leather.

04YELLOWGT.....nice looking ride! I always wondered what mine would have looked like with the chrome Cobra rims. Looks great!

A couple questions: The Deluxe has the Mach 460 with 6 CD changer. The other has a Mach Mp3. I can't tell what kind of speaker setup the Mach Mp3 has, but is it still a pretty good system? I haven't been able to dig up the specs on it just yet. The only other perceptible differences I found were the wheels (I do like the Deluxe wheels better) and the pedals. What else makes the Deluxe better?
!

There are two Mustang GTpackages, the Deluxe and the Premium

The Deluxe comes with the painted 5-spoke wheels, cloth seats, Mach MP3 radio and depending on the year does not come with ABS/TC standard (i beleive '02 has it standard)

The premium comes with Bullitt wheels, leather, Mach 460 and ABS/TC standard (except '04)

All the options avaiable on the premium are available on the deluxe. The only thing you can't put on a deluxe is the Bullitt wheels and the Mach MP3 radip is not availible on the Premium.

Having listened to the Mach MP3, Mach 460 and Mach 1000 (available 2002-2004) the Mp3 is not all that great. The Mach 460 is a good system and the Mach 1000 is awesome.

Also, the pedals were not stock for 2002, someone much have added them. They are part of a 2003-2004 Interior upgrade package.

04YELLOWGT.....nice looking ride! I always wondered what mine would have looked like with the chrome Cobra rims. Looks great!

Thanks, Im thinking about switching to Black FR500s but just dont know yet. I still need to lower it and needs girll delete and chin spoiler. Then Ill be done with the looks. I opted to do performance first and then looks. Performace is just about done I got about 2500 left and Ill be done. Then its time to start on the Shelby. :nice: