My new plan for duals...

LIZARDKING

Nov 16, 2004
Hell
I want to put GT bumpers on and run a dual exhaust. I just dont care for any of the aftermarket offerings that are available yet. Im thinking of buying this GT x-pipe, a leftside exhaust pipe, and hangers. I already have the GT muffs.

View attachment 500627

View attachment 500628

I need to crawl under my V6 and see if the V6 y-pipe shares the same hanger location as the GT coming off the tranny crossmember and if the distance between the pipes is close enough to make this fit. I would keep my cats, so the other 2 pipes would be unused. This will give me a 100% stainless steel system, look somewhat stock, and I can cobble the y-pipe back together if I ever need to do so.

Opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

Twofocused said:
I want to put GT bumpers on and run a dual exhaust. I just dont care for any of the aftermarket offerings that are available yet. Im thinking of buying this GT x-pipe, a leftside exhaust pipe, and hangers. I already have the GT muffs.

I need to crawl under my V6 and see if the V6 y-pipe shares the same hanger location as the GT coming off the tranny crossmember and if the distance between the pipes is close enough to make this fit. I would keep my cats, so the other 2 pipes would be unused. This will give me a 100% stainless steel system, look somewhat stock, and I can cobble the y-pipe back together if I ever need to do so.

Opinions?

I've been under my V6 and can tell you that there are hangers more-or-less in the same locations.

I have a similar plan that involves having a Muffler shop modifying the V6 'Y' pipe into an 'H' pipe ...

But truthfully, the real hang-up is that Ford wants ridiculous money for their hangers :fuss:

insane ~ :crazy:

Twofocused said:
Yep, Im thinking about having a friend weld me up some knockoff hangers. (that) might save me a $100.

Its really not that easy ... Ford has threaded hard points to mount the factory hangers by.

I dont want to be welding these home made hangers directly to the body anyway. There needs to be some cushion in the mount.

You can go on most of these Exhaust Threads here and find guys who are going crazy trying to run down rattles and rumbles in their aftermarket systems!

To me, the only thing that will work would be the factory mounts or an aftermarket equivalent.

I wish that i could find a cheap alternative, but I'm running out of ideas.

Yep, with these hangers running $55 a piece and no aftermarket there is not much choice other than wait for one (or two) to pop up in the salvage yard or ebay. I almost had a seizure when I bought one at $55 and then got home went underneath the car and noticed I needed another one! Talk about a slow death! But also as shooterm was saying if you want a system that doesn't shake, rattle and roll these are the only way to go!

I hear ya on the hangers, but I think I can remove one and have my friend copy it. He likes to weld and fab, it wont cost me anything to try.

So why not? It will work or it wont. Still might save me $100.