Mysterious black vacuum box- whats it for?

Pur Pony

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
CT
I just removed the smog equipment and egr off my 89. I have a black square box located in the pass side fender that has a vacuum lines running to and flow it. I have searched and looked at all the vacuum charts that people have posted on there and this box doesnt seem to show up on any of them... does anyone have a clue what im talking about or know what this box it for??

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

jb89coupe said:
It's the charcoal canister.. it filters and recycles fumes from your gas tank back into the intake to relieve the pressure from the tank. I would leave it hooked up, or come up with another way to vent your tank.

no- not the charcoal canister.... its a small black box about 3"x3"x2" deep and in located in the inner fender above my front tire... almost inline with the front strut.... its tucked up in the fender... so the only way you can see it is if you remove the front tire and the fender skirt and look up inside.

Pur Pony said:
no- not the charcoal canister.... its a small black box about 3"x3"x2" deep and in located in the inner fender above my front tire... almost inline with the front strut.... its tucked up in the fender... so the only way you can see it is if you remove the front tire and the fender skirt and look up inside.

Well what do the vacuum lines coming to/from the box lead to? How many of them are there? I have my whole car in pieces right now getting ready to paint, inner fender is out, and I don't have one.. mine is an 89 too :shrug:

i dont remember were the vacuum lines from it go- thats why im asking- lol. I removed some vacuum lines because I removed the smog pump, egr, egr solenoid, theractor solenoids.... and I have this box I have no idea what it is.

I also removed the Cruise control but thats on the drivers side.

I have this box and then the round vacuum reserve-

I was wondering if it was aftermarket... cause I bought the car already built... but I have another vacuum box under the hood on the drivers side but that goes to the greddy boost control.

Ill snap a picture when i get home

ok- i guess its round... lol.... but i still dont know what this is for??

vacuum1-1.jpg

vacuum2-1.jpg

vacuum3-1.jpg

vacuum4-1.jpg

There is also a large hollow ball... which I thought was the hvac vacuum reserve-

The black ball is the HVAC vacuum canister as you thought. I'm not sure what the black hockey puck looking thing is yet. I can see mine by looking down the fender through the air filter opening.

Can you see a part number on the thing?