Need 8 or more 10's cheap

Iv'e been reading these threads for a little more than a year but never posted one of my own. I have my 95 vert in storage for the winter and thinking of what to do before spring to put me into the 13's without nitros. This is my current best slip:

RT .745
60ft 2.129
330ft 6.076
1/8 et 9.417
1/8 mph 72.94
1000ft 12.344
1/4 et 14.84
1/4 mph 90.14

I do feel it could do slightly better with a better launch. My mods are:

1 5/8 shorties
UD Pullies
4:10's
B&M 3000 stall (waste of money)
timing 14*
JMS custom chip
2.5" off road H-pipe w/flow master and 3"dumps (lost low end)
BFG DR's
No smog
- 25 lb. weight
removed jute from trunk and back seat

Basically I've made some purchases that wern't very wise for the money and want to make sure I get good bang for the buck. I have $1000 to spend. I was thinking:

* Power Heads or Thumpers (I don't want to start the great head debate but I know I can't afford something like AFR's)
* Ported stock lower.
* 24# injectors (I can get them for $50)
* Adjustable fuel reg.

Any advice would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the board!

Well, most people here know my thoughts on the ported stock stuff, if you don't I'll sum it up by saying there are a LOT of better choices out there than what you are concidering. You will not get to your goal with thumpers and a ported stock intake. Look at this thread and this guys combo, if anyone is on a budget this is the sort of combo I'd recommend. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=430849
I'd probably stay with the explorer intake to save some dough though. I recently called a local salvage yard and I can pick up an entire long block out of an explorer for ~$850 with <30K miles. That's a bargain for what you get.

If nothing else, start looking on the classifieds for a set of GT40P heads (you will need new shorty headers but you can always sell yours to offset the cost) and a used edelbrock/cobra/similar intake. I was running 13.8 at 98.5mph in my vert with similar mods to yours except I had an edelbrock intake, nitto DR's, 3.73's, and a 65mm T-body. At your state of mods I was only a few tenths quicker than you with a 14.6 at 94.89mph. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have. Seriously reconcider your head and intake choices if your looking to run 13's NA in your AODE vert.

I didn't think the P's would be that much better than the Thumpers or the Power Heads to offset purchase of new headers. I am definately open to the P's if they are that much better. Let's say I went with the P's and Explorer intake would you still do the 24#'s and adjustabel fuel reg. , something else, or nothing else?

Hello to you, this being your first post and all.

I lurked around on these boards for way longer than you before I said anything also.

The thing about making not so wise of a purchase for mods to your stang.
I think I can safely say you are not the only one.
I wish I could do some of those (as you say) purchases over again.

As far as advice on your combo parts I say the heads & cam are not the items to compromise on for two reasons.

1 Most upgrade from E7's to a better Iron head and then go to an Aluminum head. I did it myself.

2 If you go for the BEST head at first then your cam choice will be correct and you won't have to buy a second cam.

I would rather just save a little longer and take my car down to heads off status only one time.

As far as Iron heads go, several have had good results with the gt40p heads.

Good luck to you and let us know what you decide about your car.

Later
Grady

The injectors are a waste of money at this point. You won't make any more power and you will have to get your chip changed or get a 24 lb MAF. On the other hand $50 is a pretty good deal for the injectors and you might be able to turn them arround for some profit.

I agree with killer, for $850, a set of headers and an intake elbow, you'll get better heads, a better intake and possibly a fresher short block. You will have plenty of stuff to sell also. In fact, I might be interested in buying a DIS system if the price is right.

red95aodevert said:
I didn't think the P's would be that much better than the Thumpers or the Power Heads to offset purchase of new headers. I am definately open to the P's if they are that much better. Let's say I went with the P's and Explorer intake would you still do the 24#'s and adjustabel fuel reg. , something else, or nothing else?

OK, just so I don't come across as a biased person for no reason, I will leave it up to you to make up your mind on whether the P's are that much better. Simply do a search for thumpers and look at what REAL PROVEN times and HP these guys are running with them and what their setups are (ie weight, trans, fox or sn95, etc)... not what their seat-of-the-pants tells them. Then do the same for GT40P's... I already know what you'll find and that's why I make the comments I do, but just so I don't influence you just do this and let me know what you find. I'm fairly confident I won't be retracting my statements on the superiority of the P's versus the thumpers but I will if I'm ever proven wrong.

As for the 24lb injectors and AFPR, yes, I think they are definitely a good idea. You could get by with 19's and an adjustable FPR if you absolutely had to, but 24's are the better choice if you add the GT40P heads and a better than stock intake.

Lets say I do the GT-40 P heads, Cobra or Explorer intake, 24# injectors and AFPR how much improvement do you think I will see. I really want to see 8 10's but don't know if I am being over ambitious. I will also be doing a homemade CAI and eventhough my best ET is 14.84 @ 90.14 I do believe with a better launch I could see a 14.7 as-is. Due to my budget these will be my last mods for a long time while I change my focus to interior (new leather) and exterior (new paint, side scoops, hood, cobra front bumper and cage). If I still have the car in 3 years that is when I will add nitros to hopefully put me in the 12's.

Some results w/Ported Heads

'93 5.0 Hatch w/5 speed
Edelbrock Performer heads out of the box !
12.27 @ 112 mph
PORTED 'Brocks no other changes made!
11.92 @ 115 mph

'92 5.0 Hatch w/5 speed
Stock GT40s and Turbo
12.70s
PORTED GT40s and no other bolt on made
11.90s

'90 5.0 Hatch w/4 speed Toploader
Stock E7s and stock cam
13.30s
PORTED E7s and B cam installed 2* advanced
12.48 @ 108 mph

'93 LX 5.0 5 speed
stock E7s B cam
Ported E7s w/1.7s (3.55 gears)4* advanced on Cam
12.80 @ 106 mph

'91 GT AOD 5.0
Ported E7s and AOD w/3500 stall TFS1 Cam 4* advanced
Edlebrock Performer 5.0 out of the box
(Example of Ported vs buying)

Dont look at the ETs or the mph... just the increase in performance before and after, Just by port, bowl and performance valve job. If the Darts or Trick flows dont seem to be making the performance you wanted.... port work "could" be the answer !! GT40s... and thinking of up grading and spending 1000.00 + in new heads?? Port work !! Those E7s suck!! Port work!! Edelbrocks seem lazy and not running the numbers you want?? Could be needing port work!!

Check around, see what the new heads are costing AND all the add'l "stuff" to make those heads work ( push rods, headers ect...). Maybe the only thing you need is to have the existing heads Ported and Polished to knock off that 3 or 4 tenths !! or get that extra 30-50 RWHP !! ( HP numbers are heads only and may vary, more mods will equal more HP, the higher the quality of the Ports, less the improvements )

ET's and MPH supplied by customers.. IF no MPH shown, customer didnt provide!

Thumper Performance
http://thumperoforangepark.com

Yeah...yeah.... yeah..... sure we know.... yeah... Blah blah....
Do what you can do !! the best heads are the AFRs and Brodix and custom ground camshafts top of the line!! then the intakes and then the ,......blah blah...we know!!

Do what you can afford !! the Canary will always be here to advise on the AFRs or against anything ported...cool!!

Just me................................

Thumper

I'm not here to talk down on anything ported, what I'm here to do is show that there is better performance to be had with $500 than to buy a set of your heads... I'll always been pretty up front about that. You can talk flow numbers ALL DAY LONG, but just as I've always done I point to the proof. I can and have found numerous GT40P combos with both ported, and non-ported heads that run much better than your headed combos. Hell I was reading an old article today on a 94-95 (I think it was Dedicated5.0's car from the corral, and it looks like he jsut totalled it) in a 5.0 mag. (Nov 2003) article on cam swaps that had BOX stock GT40P heads, BOX STOCK cobra intake, stock T-body, 75mm maf, shorty headers, and a steeda #19 cam... results were 270rwhp/300rwtq.

Lately I've been labled as an E7 hater and now an anything ported hater... never had I said either. I've been very consistent with all my comments and provided facts that paying for ported heads and such are not wise decisions from a performance and "budget" standpoint. Do I preach custom cams and AFR's... yes. Why??? Because they are proven to work, and work quite well. I guess you can also say I'm a GT40P preacher too because they are a remarkable little head and should be THE choice for someone who is on a budget like many of the people are that look to your heads. If you truely wanted to offer something worth $500 Mike, you should start porting GT40P's... I think your "12 second combo" claims would be much better founded as I know that head can back it up in a variety of combos. Look, I don't want to fight, because we've gone, and can go, round and round over this. I'm sticking to my guns and saying the proof is in the pudding, and I haven't had to eat those words yet.

Red95aodevert- sorry for going off topic there. To answer your question... its hard to say, especially with AODE's as many seem to have slippage problems in stock form. I'd say look around the net for GT40P combos, in the little searching I just did I found quite a few guys with AOD's... one was making 230rwhp with a cobra intake and box stock GT40P's with a stock AOD. CHeck out these links:
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=251810&highlight=gt40p+combos

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=298186&highlight=gt40p+combos

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226607&highlight=gt40p+combos

To see more go here or do similar searches, the truth is out there...
http://www.corral.net/forums/search...d=985528&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Oh, by the way Mike, here's a ported combo for you, its my dad's...

91GT T5
holley systemax II kit, bolt-ons
12.7 at 107

holley kit ported by Ed Curtis and FTI custom cam, and over 100 extra lbs too from the roll bar, TKO swap and scatterproof bell:
12.01 at 115mph
(with only 135-140psi/cylinder too!!!)

Here's more for you...
Look my replies on this thread, I provided combos and links
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=3761229#post3761229

Here's some combos...
dark pony-7.94@87 gt40p's, afm cam, cobra intake 299 RWHP 329 RWTQ

redSN95vert-95 GT Convertible, 2001 Explorer Engine(5.0),Engine mods, P Heads (milled .030"), Ported Exh., 1.6 Roller Rockers(Yella Terra), RPM II Intake, 24# Inj.,E-cam, Mac LongTubes- P specific, Mac Prochamber, Magnaflow Catback, 4.10 Gears, 12.483 @ 106.81

Factory Stocker-12.27 @110.3, unported gt40p heads, cobra intake, stock cam, stock short block on Hoosier Dots, 3300lbs.
281hp 323tq

ROG30Y-ported and milled gt40p, ported edel. rpm intake, 75mm tb, 77mm maf, f303 cam, 1 5/8 longtubes, 2 1/2 full exhaust and turbo mufflers, 18 degrees timing, 34lbs fuel pressure, 3180lb car, 4.10's, 327rwhp, 330rwtq, 11.94 at 115.1

91lxssp-91 LX SSP 5.0 Coupe w/AOD. GT40P heads, Cobra Intake, 1.6 RRs, cam, 24lb injectors, 65mm TB, exhaust, pulleys, 4.10 gears, TransGo shift kit, PI 2800 rpm non-lockup converter, M/T 8.5 slicks - 12.57@108 mph w/1.74 60 ft.
BFG 275/60/15 Drag Radials - 12.70@106 w/1.77 60 ft

what ever...

There has been a bazillion answers to you.. and your statements, I just sit back and look in amusement, along with lots of others.. but, this time I opened my mouth , and I shouldn't have... is this going to be another 6, 7 ...10 pager?? duh.... Not proven, my ass!! 600.00 for 12s being a lie... sure!! your right, all the guys that respond to you , get the same story!! Cool..... what ever!!.....quote the world... HEY you guys... DONT BUY THUMPER HEADS!!! Port your own!! Get the GT40s and P's they ARE better than my ported E7s!!! Sure..... what ever... rock on!!

Just me...................................

Thumper

Hey, the way i see it, i'm in college, have 400 bucks, a broken tranny to buy parts for, a cam and gears in the garage, and a dremel beside them. hex yeah i'm gonna P&P my own heads at least a LITTLE before i put that cam in!
I do hear that aluminum burns more efficient though....?
LOL, sorry, didn't mean to instigate it more!

Red95aodevert- sorry for ruining your post, normally its much more civil around here, don't let this spoil you on sticking around here, there are a lot of great guys here.

Thumper... lets just add up my combo, shall we...
AFR165's- $1175
FTI cam- $325
Edelbrock intake- free... it was a gift from my wife (was $400 with the elbow though, it was used)
24lb injectors: $100 used
190lph pump- $100
75mm MAF- $200
65mm T-body- free... a christmas present from my parents (~$250)
shorty headers- $200
X pipe- $250
mufflers- free... my cousin upgraded his cat back and gave me his old dynomax mufflers
eec tuner- $400
4.10's- free... my cousin swapped the factory gears back into his cougar (~$200)
gear install- $90
head bolts, gaskets, etc- ~$150
nitto DR's- $250
K&N- used $10

This is the combo I had when I was running 12.7's at 107mph. Total cost: $4100

Since then I've added the TKO-$2K, 31 spline axles-$240, and eaton-$200, my ET streets were free from my dad as he changed sizes, and I bought a shortbelt... none of these are must haves, but I did them to be on the safe side. End result... $6540. Is that a lot of money, sure it is. BUT, and here's the main point which you so often miss... I've gone from 15.2 at 90mph stock to a 12.31 at 111.15mph. That is a drop in ET of 2.89 seconds and a gain of 21.15mph.
THAT'S A FREAKING HUGE GAIN

You always say spend double the "big dollars" guys spend twice as much but don't go twice as fast... I beg to differ. Also, I did everything on my car over a 4 year span and WHILE I WAS IN COLLEGE and making my own car payments, so don't make it out like I'm somehow financially better than anyone as I'm not I can assure you. You know Mike, I can't blame you for getting mad as its your product that I'm talking down on, but come on buddy look through a clearer set of eyes. Hell, I just made a very good suggestion to you... start working on a set of GT40P's. Hell, at least do one set and give them a try, they are pretty easily found and will yield better results in the end... do you truely not see that... honestly???? If you don't, then I have nothing else to say. If people continue to buy your heads with the knowledge that is readily available on all these boards and elsewhere, then maybe I'm missing something... I wish someone would enlighten me if that's the case.

Sorry again red95aodevert!

94Blue302GT- YOU GET IT!!! In a situation like yours, take a little time and do it yourself. Lookup username MOUSE on here and the corral and go to his website, he has a very nice write up on how and what needs addressed on an E7 and GT40P head. If you can't find it, do a search for that name here in the 94-95 section as I've found it before and put up links to it...

Chumper,

Your picking on my fellow 12sec n/a vert club member. So here is somehting for you.

Afr heads: $1,275
fti cam: $325
trip to the dragstrip $50

Not being able to see a thumper headed car after I launch: PRICELESS !!!!!!

Remember my passenger side mirror says:

"Thumper is farther away than he appears".

Just me....
onebad95

One bad... sorry... I was drunk, no ..on drugs... what?? Oh yeah the " thumper is futher away than he appers" did you make that up your self?? of maybe a 3 year old after looking in the mirror ?? It sure is good!! Oh yeah!!

I could get that beast ( 3600 Lbs ) in the 12s on ported heads and the right cam, I'm sure there are a lot of Gearheads out there that can do the same!! and for less than 1600.00 ( not to mention ALL the add'ls ) But hey thats cool for you! but in a two car race it aint the money spent.. it is the end that counts!! Dontcha think?? I will say this one last time!! DONT BUY MY PORTED HEADS!! DONT SAVE MONEY ON PORTED CRAP and get into the 12s!! Buy a die grinder and port your own heads!! ( I will help ya if needed) IF your 94-95 is slow... get 1600.00 worth of heads and you will be faster than ported POS heads ( 595.00 mine or 50.00 your own, or 695 pwrhds)!!
Hope this helps ya... That is why there are drags..... some with a lot of money and some on a budget!! but.... oh well, what ever...... I am impressed... yep!! Damn Impressed!!

Just me...................................

Thumper

so yeah back to the original post.....

I ran:
r/t .506 (proud of that one)
60' 2.326
330 6.306
1/8 9.561
MPH 75.89
1000 12.354
1/4 14.711
MPH 95.54

that was with a 94 AODE hardtop w/ 3.73s, B&M shift kit, MAC h-pipe(no cats), flowmasters, and cold air induction. all on Nitto NT555s daily driven half used tires.

i'm sure you could get more out of the combo your running now. pratice makes perfect, but anyway, i would do like canary says, get the explorer intake, GT40P heads, OR look around in the classifieds for something used. get the injectors, and a mass air to match, and you'll be set for the 13s. If your doing the work yourself, get yourself a cam while your at it. i know this is prolly over the $1000 limit, but if your gonna do something do it right the first time. there is always the summer to pay for it, hehe.

P.S. don't yell at me guys, but i think that porting is after you buy the heads you want, after you buy the other things you need. one of those last little tweeks to get out of the engine. my .02.