Need Advice

tharsis13

Oct 22, 2004
Thornton, CO
I'm looking for a couple subs and an amp for my Lightning. First off, will they fit behind the seats? (I'm assuming thats where I'd put them.) Also, what brands or specific subs/amps should I look at? Anything here look good?

Subs:
http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/...Subwoofers&x5=Car%20Audio%20%26%20Electronics

Amps:
http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/...Amplifiers&x5=Car%20Audio%20%26%20Electronics

Also, I'm sure I need matching subs and amps but I don't really know much about car audio. Any help?

• Sponsors (?)

unless your looking to have a "show" system,i wouldnt match everything.JL woofers are good,but thier amps suck ass.I like the Kicker,L series,they fit in a small air space and ive been having good luck with them.I also dont belive in SOME big name brands,but i wont get into that again.If your looking for easy install,the MTX like it was suggested.

I'm not going to install them myself, I'm just looking for the best quality for the best price. I thought Rockford Fosgate was good? What do you think about their 10" Punch Stage 2 woofers? I thought those looked pretty good. Would the 10" stage 3 ones be worth the extra money? I am looking for something that will sound very good and last for a long time.

I have 4 JL12W6's in my truck that are about 10 years old and they will still give me headache.RF is decent stuff,im not gonna say its the worst,but its not the best either.

I have seen MANY JL amps fry,mainly the 500/1 or the 1000/1 or whatever it is.I had a customer (shop)that had the bigger JL D class that fried, I told him to try one of my old brands that cost about 200.00 bucks as opposed to the JL and it sounded better and still works to this day.Their not known for amps,just speakers.

Yep. I am actually FAR more impressed in the Class D category by Lanzar and Hifonics over the JL's- and I am a JL subwoofer fan since about 1990-ish. Actually, I HATE their amps. The signal paths are unclean, and the power traces are undersized- hence the spontaneous combustion under load that iskwezm mentioned. I will suggest a Memphis Studio amp for a pair of 10's in the cab of that truck. That, or a Crossfire (same amp, different brand label). They put out good power, are virtually indestructable, and have about the smallest footprint of any high power amp I can think of.

Infinity02Zinc said:
. That, or a Crossfire (same amp, different brand label). They put out good power, are virtually indestructable, and have about the smallest footprint of any high power amp I can think of.
Since you mentioned Crossfire,ill tell even cheaper brands with the same circuitry,X-File(my old company),Performance teknique,Tornado.These all come from the same manufacturer and cost a lot less.I have the X-File XP2000D,as well as all my friends and the power output it sick,i even wired my buddies truck down to 1/2 ohm on 4 L7 12's.