need advise?????

• Sponsors (?)

What are your aptitudes and abilities? Don't know - go see your local state unemployment office. They will test you for free and provide useful direction.

Consider wither you would like to work in an office building and stay clean and comfortable or in a shop getting dirty and uncomfortable. If you can, project yourself 5 years or 10 years in the future. Will the same work environment still be appealing? Getting burnt out and switching careers when you have a wife, kids and bills is difficult. I have done it and it took some work and effort.

Still want to be a mechanic? Pick your training choices carefully. The Air Force or Navy will train you as a mechanic for free and give you experience you couldn’t get elsewhere. If the training you get while in the military doesn’t fit what you want to do, the new GI bill provides money for the tech school or college of your choice. At any rate, a 4 year enlistment in the Air Force or Navy would most likely keep you out of the hot combat zones and still give you the benefits of service. I am an Air Force veteran, so I think it is a great way to spend 4 years or more.

Tech schools range from 2 year vocational schools run by state and local governments to private schools offering a 2 year associates degree in automotive service. Some of the tech schools offer opportunities to get on a factory training track that gives you an opportunity to work in the Dealerships when you finish. Guys that work for the Dealerships generally make more money than those who work for independent shops or chain stores. Other schools will hook you up with the Snap-On or MAC tool guy for a 40-60% discount on the $20K-$30K worth of tools you’ll need as a professional mechanic. Don’t blow that off – there are some guys on Stangnet that will tell you they owe more money to the tool salesman than they do on the shiny new pickup truck they are driving.