Need axle diameter for rear axle bearing area

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
I need specs on the diameter of the rear axle where the bearing rides. The Turbo Coupe rear axle I have has lots of miles on it. I would like to check the wear so I will know if I need new axles or just new bearings. I have gotten the information that the diameter is 1.6xx, but I do not have the numbers for the xx part of the size.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have the measurement, but even without it, you should be able to tell if it's worn excessively. Since the bearing surface of the axle is what, 2 or 3 inches wide, but the bearing is only about an inch wide, you can see where the bearing rides and whether or not it's worn to a smaller diameter than the areas next to it. With that said, I've never seen an axle wear down unless it got galled, which is painfully obvious to the naked eye, and the only option at that point is to junk the axle or run "axle saver" bearings, which are offset so they ride on the clean part of the axle.

I got around to measuring mine. You need the area where the outer bearings ride right?

I measured some axles out of a low mileage 1998 cobra I have....and got 1.365" on both.

Did you get 1.6xx?

I got around to measuring mine. You need the area where the outer bearings ride right?

I measured some axles out of a low mileage 1998 cobra I have....and got 1.365" on both.

Did you get 1.6xx?

Thank you very much. I just got my 1"-2" micrometer the other day, so I am all set to go.

The 1.6x must have been a typo or I misread the spec out of the parts catalog.:shrug: