need clutch install help asap!

JenkinsBS

Founding Member
Apr 16, 2002
Washington
okay, all i really need to know is what tips do i need when installing a clutch?

i bought a kit, came with throw out bearing, a toothed guide thing, i dont know about a pilot bearing (what is it?), and the pressureplate clutch disk. i still have the stock cable and quadrent hooked to the bellhousing/pedal, got my t5 flywheel resurfaced, still got all the bolts. So what do i really need to do to install it. my motor is out of the car on a engine hoist, transmission is still down in the car.

i did a search, but nothin came up good... thanks

b.j.

• Sponsors (?)

JenkinsBS said:
okay, all i really need to know is what tips do i need when installing a clutch?

i bought a kit, came with throw out bearing, a toothed guide thing, i dont know about a pilot bearing (what is it?), and the pressureplate clutch disk. i still have the stock cable and quadrent hooked to the bellhousing/pedal, got my t5 flywheel resurfaced, still got all the bolts. So what do i really need to do to install it. my motor is out of the car on a engine hoist, transmission is still down in the car.

i did a search, but nothin came up good... thanks

b.j.

you're going to have to have someone hold a wrench on the dampner side of the crank to keep the motor from rotating when you put the pressure plate and flywheel back on. bolt the flywheel back on and then make sure you put the pressure plate on correctly...meaning putting the little guide pins on the flywheel in the holes on the pressure plate and bolting it up. 6 bolts for pressure plate. clutch disc says which side goes to the motor. then put the throwout bearing in the bellhousing like it was before and drop the motor back in and bolt it back up.

ok... so whats the deal with using that toothed guide tool? when and how do i use that. AND, about putting the motor back into the car, how am i suposed to line up the input shaft with the clutch/flywheel?
thanks alot, ill be getting my motor dropped tonight :D

b.j.

JenkinsBS said:
ok... so whats the deal with using that toothed guide tool? when and how do i use that. AND, about putting the motor back into the car, how am i suposed to line up the input shaft with the clutch/flywheel?
thanks alot, ill be getting my motor dropped tonight :D

b.j.
You have already answered your own question....the "toothed thing" is a CLUTCH ALIGNMENT TOOL-- you will insert that into the clutch disc, throught the pressure plate...to keep everything aligned, until the input on the transmission takes it's place (if you notice, it looks just like the front shaft of the T-5, except made of plastic!)

428dragpac said:
You have already answered your own question....the "toothed thing" is a CLUTCH ALIGNMENT TOOL-- you will insert that into the clutch disc, throught the pressure plate...to keep everything aligned, until the input on the transmission takes it's place (if you notice, it looks just like the front shaft of the T-5, except made of plastic!)

yyaaaarrrrrr

i see that :p so whats the best way to go about lowering it onto and lining it up with the tranny?

Patience is key......

Slide the friction disk onto the alignment tool and insert it into the block. Next, slide the pressure plate over the tool, and bolt it up to thew flywheel... once torqued, the tool should slide in and out....

To line it up, keep the motor centered and level. If it goes in most of the way, press the clutch pedal down slowly, or try rotating the motor or input shaft for theat last bit of clearance.

a repair manual does wonders (torque specs for one). i like to use thread lock on the bolts.
do your rear main seal while in there. some like the teflon seals better. there are several ways to do the pilot bearing, none of them fun. puller works. so does the grease trick (have not done that myself).

torque the flywheel and pressure plate in stages.
think about a steel retaining bearing and check your pivot ball. you dont want to do this again.

sorry this is scatterbrained. im tired. good luck.

ok, i already have a new pilot bearing, and it is steel... just i dont know how to get the old one out. (the one thats in the block that the input shaft goes into?) i tried prying it, but diddnt want to damage anything.

i dont need to do the rear main, the block is fresh and rebuilt

and the way i was doing it last night was...
i took the clutch assembly, put the fanged part down (so the disk side was up), then all you need to do is put the pressure plate ontop of that, then line up the flywheel pegs with the clutch holes so it sandwiches the PP, and your set?

and bolting it up, you do the flywheel first, torqe down to 75ft/lbs, then put the tool on and the pressureplate over it so it stays in place, then the clutch assembly, (make sure its lined up with the pegs)? and all do i need to put grease on? if anything? almost there!!!

b.j.

Sounds good but you have the disk and pressure plate confused, no problem though you know what they are...

For the pilot bearing..pack it full of grease, then find something that fits the hole, (1/2" ratchet extension worked for me)...then hit it with a hammer a few times and the bearing should pop out...hydraulics is your friend :D

okay, i got everything taken care of, now all i need to really know is if i need to BOLT up the pressureplate to the flywheel or anything... i diddnt remove the clutch teh first time, so i dont know what goes back on. all ive done was replace the pilot bearing, bolt the 6 bolts for the flywheel back in, put the disk and the tool in to get it lined up, then put the pressure plate on, MAKING SURE that the 3 dowl pins on the flywheel lined up. is there ANYTHING else i need to do to that before i drop it back in? thanks

b.j.

Um, yeah....if you don't, it'll all fall apart the first time you try to do anything with it. The dowels are just to align the PP on the flywheel, you need to get bolts to hold it on.

Ash