Need Engine Swap Information

Hi everybody, I really need some good help and I know I'm in the right place. My car and mods are below. My current engine which has 102,000 miles has given out. I broke 2 piston rings and it needs to be rebuilt. After thinking about what to do I'm just going to get a 99-04 GT engine from the oil pan to throttle body. My old engine I'm going to keep and take a part and learn how it works and will be my future race engine.
My questions are:
Can I just swap a 99-04 GT engine in without any different parts?
Will I have to swap computers?
Must I get a custom tune?
What must I buy that I need to make the swap successful?

Thanks for everyone's help
Troony :SNSign: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

forget eveything you just said and go buy a DSS 5.0 modular stroker block for your car($3199) which is what you will spend building your block in the future neways.do a full pi swap and be dont with it.

I just swapped a '04 GT motor into my '96. Here's what you need.

1. Your '97 timing cover
2. Your valve covers (unless you get a '99/'00 engine 'cause those are different)
3. Use your existing ignition, throttle body, IAC, exhaust manifolds (some newer manifolds "might" not fit)
4. Keep your existing fuel rails
5. Keep your existing water pump & alternator
6. Your existing pulleys

I think that's about it.... just think of it as a "long block" swap.

Im getting a complete new engine from oil pan to throttle body, why would I have to take my parts of my 97 gt engine and put them on a newer engine? Did u have to get a tune or swap your computer? How does your stang run since you did your swap? Any numbers? Keep sending me the smallest of info cause I can only pay for this once. thanks

I just swapped a '04 GT motor into my '96. Here's what you need.

1. Your '97 timing cover
2. Your valve covers (unless you get a '99/'00 engine 'cause those are different)
3. Use your existing ignition, throttle body, IAC, exhaust manifolds (some newer manifolds "might" not fit)
4. Keep your existing fuel rails
5. Keep your existing water pump & alternator
6. Your existing pulleys

I think that's about it.... just think of it as a "long block" swap.

You'll need to tap the crossover [if your donor engine has the aluminum one] for the 2nd temp sensor. If the intake is all plastic, then you'll need to use a t-fitting or find a spot to put it in the block.

Ok, the reason you need to swap over parts from your '97 engine is that the A LOT of parts for the '99-'04 engines are not compatible with your car.

1. you need the '97 timing cover 'cause the accessories are different & won't bolt up to the newer covers.

2. You need the '97 valve covers 'cause the PCV valve is COMPLETELY different & won't mate up to your existing emission controls or be smog legal.

3 a) you need your '97 coil packs 'cause '99+ use coil on plug ignitions which would require different wiring harness, computer & probably dash wiring

b) the '99+ throttle bodies (actually upper intake) have different vaccuum hose connections (that don't match your car). You "could" use the newer upper intake if you put in some hose adapters, but there's no real reason to do that.

c) The IAC (intake air control valve) must be used from your '97 or your computer will get confused & I've been told it cannot be fixed with a tune if you try to use the newer IAC

d) I've heard both ways on the exhaust manifolds, but from experience I can say that at the very least you will need to swap out the exhaust flange studs (donut bolts) on the driver's side 'cause my '04 had "shoulders" on studs that would not allow the H-pipe to bolt up. The newer manifolds "look" compatible (& they might be), but there's no reason to risk it & have to pull the motor out a second time if it doesn't bolt up.

4. Your '97 has a different fuel system, fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel press. regulator than the newer engines, so you must use the '97 fuel rails (they're considered better anyway)

5. a)The '97 water pump does not stick out as far as the newer water pumps so if you tried to use the newer water pump, the pulleys/belts will not line up.
b) The newer alternators have different wiring than your '97 ('97's have one more wire and the newer ones have no place to connect it)

6. Some of the newer pulleys have grooves where your '97's are smooth and smooth where you have grooves (the belt runs differently).

It seems like a waste, but you basically strip the new engine down to just a long block with an intake & use the rest of the stuff from your old engine.

Oh yeah..... you want to use your '97 oil pan too 'cause the newer engines don't have the same kind of "low oil" light that tells you when your just
1 quart low. I like that feature a lot, so I swapped over my '96 oil pan too.

I'm gratefull for the information your able to give me. I have a couple more questions that you can hopefully answerer for me.

1. I have MAC long-tube headers 1 5/8" and a MAC H-Pipe, would you think that would work on a newer GT engine?

2. I have Steeda underdrive pulleys and Steeda Timing Adjuster, would you think that would work on a newer GT engine

3. I thought the newer GT valve covers had a different amount of bolt holes in them, is that true?

4. How much of a different feel did it give to your 96 with the newer 04 engine in it?

thank you, troony 97gtconv.

1. Your MAC exhaust will all bolt up.

2. All your pullies will work..... you're not going to use any of the newer engine's pulleys anyway.....you will be using EVERYTHING from your old engine except the intake manifold.

3. Only the '99-'00 valve covers are different. Those years used "Windsor" heads....same power, different number of valvecover bolts.... the '01+ heads use the same "Romeo" valvecover bolt pattern as the '98 & older heads.

4. You get a "45 horsepower different feel"..... it is noticeable & should be a bigger improvement than all your other bolt-ons combined (headers, pulleys, timing adjuster, etc.)

ScottPuddintane said:
1. Your MAC exhaust will all bolt up.

2. All your pullies will work..... you're not going to use any of the newer engine's pulleys anyway.....you will be using EVERYTHING from your old engine except the intake manifold.

3. Only the '99-'00 valve covers are different. Those years used "Windsor" heads....same power, different number of valvecover bolts.... the '01+ heads use the same "Romeo" valvecover bolt pattern as the '98 & older heads.

4. You get a "45 horsepower different feel"..... it is noticeable & should be a bigger improvement than all your other bolt-ons combined (headers, pulleys, timing adjuster, etc.)

What he said^^^

97gtconv. said:
Hi everybody, I really need some good help and I know I'm in the right place. My car and mods are below. My current engine which has 102,000 miles has given out. I broke 2 piston rings and it needs to be rebuilt. After thinking about what to do I'm just going to get a 99-04 GT engine from the oil pan to throttle body. My old engine I'm going to keep and take a part and learn how it works and will be my future race engine.
My questions are:
Can I just swap a 99-04 GT engine in without any different parts?
Will I have to swap computers?
Must I get a custom tune?
What must I buy that I need to make the swap successful?

Thanks for everyone's help
Troony :SNSign: :flag:

The 99 and up have coil on plug ign. and returnless fuel line. You could most likely swap the wire harnes and coil packs off of the your engine to the newer one. Not sure if the fuel rail from a 97 will fit the 99 and up PI unit. Don't think it would be to tuff to do.
Scott

Yep, the '97 fuel rails will fit the PI intake and you are best off using your '97 wiring harness. Also, your coil packs will bolt right up.

The ONLY modification you need to do to the wiring "might" be lengthening the wires going to the driver's side water temp. sensor if you put it on the driver's side of the engine block where the block coolant drain plug is (what I did). If you put that sensor in a hole you drill/tap in the intake's water cross-over or in the thermostat housing then the existing wires might already be long enough.