Need help ... car won't start

I'm new to this forum but not to mustangs ... have a Mach 1 and a Bullitt in the garage. Picked up a 94 GT convertible driver off eBay with lots of miles but "ran" great. Drove 300 miles home and no problem. Trying to "clean it up" a bit I Gunked the engine and used power washer to finish the job. Since then ... problems. The scenario is that the engine will start although horribly mis-firing. After running for 10 minutes it got to sounding pretty good so I shut it off and now it won't start. If you put the gas pedal all the way to the floor it will start but immediately shut down. I've checked for water everywhere ... even running a hair dryer into distributor, and all intake related electrical fittings and still the same problem. All vacuum hoses appear to be intact. Anybody have any ideas where to look? Appreciate the help. Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm just to be sure, did u take off the distributor cap and check the terminals on the underside?

Thats really weird, never had a problem like it, hopefully someone else has and will chime in.

Just a FYI, make a post on the corral.net......doubles your chances of finding an answer quickly.

Thanks for the reply nmcgrawj. 35 lookers and 1 reply seems a little strange. Perhaps I'll take your advice and seek assistance elsewhere. Finally got it to start again today after sitting over 24 hours. Same darn thing ... rumbled and sputered for a few minutes, then smoothed out and let it idle for 25 minutes. Turned it off and won't restart. Huge smell of fuel coming out of the exhaust so apparently fuel is flooding one or more cylinders. Injector problems maybe? I don't have a clue. Again, thanks for your thoughts. JP

Thanks to the miracle of WD40 ... and you gotta love the new swivel straw nozzle ... I sprayed a good amount down in the distributor on the PIP and the beast came to life albeit still a bit ragged but at least starts right up. Still bought a new MSD unit from Summit ... the basic Ford replacement ... so should be a full up round by the weekend. The answer was as Nate pointed out on corral.net but still my thanks for your comments.

Glad to hear you got it. :nice:

If you can still find a product called Wire Dryer, I always had good luck with it (in the Pac NW rain) as a preventative type of measure. And next time you hose it down, do something like put an upside-down sandwich bag over your dizzy and rubberband the opening closed.

Since your opening post noted that you had addressed the dizzy, I never commented further (it's a polite, classy group here. We do our best not to offend folks).

Thanks to the miracle of WD40 ... and you gotta love the new swivel straw nozzle ... I sprayed a good amount down in the distributor on the PIP and the beast came to life albeit still a bit ragged but at least starts right up. Still bought a new MSD unit from Summit ... the basic Ford replacement ... so should be a full up round by the weekend. The answer was as Nate pointed out on corral.net but still my thanks for your comments.

Glad you got it figured out. I will say the corral.net is more active but i like this group more. Its more laid back....its fun when everyone has projects going on cause its active....but when there's no projects its really slow.

If i were you i would send that MSD back, save your money and get a stock replacement from the junkyard. $50 vs. a couple hundred....

If you are interested, search your area: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market