Need help diagnosing chatter noise

Next on my list jrichker:) Gotta get the car on jackstands so I can get under there while it's idling and take a listen. I've held off because the majority of the time I've heard the noise under load and I can't really put the engine under load if it's on jackstands.

• Sponsors (?)

Alright I hope we're close to wrapping this thing up. I used the stethoscope today and had the car idling on the stands with the hood open. The clack is definitely coming from the passenger valve cover. I hear it best when the idle is held at 1500RPM and it is a constant clack clack clack clack about every half a second. To hear it on the video the volume probably needs to be way up. The sound is higher pitched/background noise in the video but clear in person. If you can't hear it I can try to shoot it from a different spot. The noise comes in the video around 7 seconds to 11 and then 15 seconds.

YouTube - Chatter from valve cover

When I had the covers off to replace the gaskets the rockers seemed tight, except for one in the middle (just slightly looser than the others), but I thought it was due to the position of the valvetrain when the car was shut off:shrug:

That is an unusual noise for rocker arms, but it might be worth another look inside to make sure they are all in adjustment. The position of the valves will definately effect whether you get a loose or tight feel on the push rod, hence the procedure is based on the firing order and knowing when the valves you want to adjust are closed (on the base of the cam, not on the lobes). If you have roller rockers be sure and inspect the roller tip for wear / slop.

Edit: Here's a pretty good video on pedestal mount rocker arm adjustment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8NW0R0kDiY

Do you think it could be something else? It definitely sounded like it was coming from the valve cover and it's a clack more than a tick which makes me want to rule out an exhaust leak.

well if you are only hearing it at a certain rpm. take off the belt, start the car and get the car up to that RPM and see if the noise is still there. if you hear it. obviously its not an accessory and you can rule it out. but remember the water pump wont be rotating but you will be ok running with out it for a minute.

and with out the accessories running, you should be able to hear the noise easier if it isnt an accessory issue