Need help fast!

Londerville

Founding Member
May 7, 2002
Mosinee,Wisconsin
I got home from work tonight, put the car in park, turned the key to the off position and pulled it out, to my surprize the car just kept on running. SO i put it back in the ignition and tried again. No luck. WHen i take the key out the gauges drop like the car is turned off and the steering wheel locks up but the engine just keeps on going. I can even give it gas and sure enough it revs right up. I ended up pulling a fuse to shut it down finally. Anybody have this happen to them or know of anything that could be causeing this?

Jason

• Sponsors (?)

That's a good one. I'd have to look at a Mitchell manual on it before I could comment further. It sounds like a sticky relay or bad ignition switch. The only way your engine would continue to run after you've removed the key would be if power to the ignition circuit was not disabled when you turned the key off.

I can't get to my wiring diagrams untl later today, but recall something called a "constant control" relay located under the hood. When you turn off the key, does your radio turn off? Power windows work (if you have them)? If accessories and engine both continue to operate, I am in the ignition switch failure camp. If accessories turn off OK, but engines continues to run, I'm more inclined to suspect a relay.

Well, I took it to an autobody place this morning. We tore apart the dash and unplugged the ignition module under there. We ended up finding some wires that had been cut and taped back together. There was also some under the hood in the fender that had been spliced together. He thinks there may have been a remote starter installed on this car at one point in time. Once we put it all back together it worked fine again. The longer i own this car the more **** i find wrong with it. I'm never buying from that dealership again. Next car i'm buying new so i don't have to find all kinds of nice surprises.

Anyways, Thanx for the help guys.

Jason

Yeah I have installed numerous remote starters on vehicles and they do tend to cause odd problems long after they are removed. Just a little note if you plan on installing a remote starter pay the extra money and get one that plugs directly into the ignition harness. Cutting ignition wires is never a good thing.

Sounds like your EEC Power Relay may be stuck. I have seen this before pull the relay
and engine should stall. The relay is in the under hood fuse panel. Cant remember which one just pull them one by one when you hit the right one the engine will stall.