Need help on getting steering shaft to line back up!

N8Miller

I need NOS....make it 2 of the big ones
Founding Member
Jul 26, 2000
Kingston, PA, USA
I have my BBK long tubes just about fully done. the last thing to do is get the sterring shaft to line back up. Everything is all bolted in, just the shaft will not get lined up correctly. I cant fit in the space where it is supposed to be where the 2 pronged spacer thing has to fit in that slot. I have tried moving the actual steering wheel, but cant. i have tried to move that thing that moves the wheels, but i can get it to go in properly.
Now, Do the prong things slide onto that platform thing? if they do, the shft will do onto the steering thing.
anyone have any tips???

• Sponsors (?)

If you could get pictures that would help a lot. In the absence of pictures, depending on what doesn't line up, you could drop the steering wheel to give you more leeway when reattaching everything. Check the lock on the steering too, maybe you just need to unlock it. Not really sure what thingee is not lining up with the thingabob, so pics would be great. GL

N8Miller said:
I have my BBK long tubes just about fully done. the last thing to do is get the sterring shaft to line back up. Everything is all bolted in, just the shaft will not get lined up correctly. I cant fit in the space where it is supposed to be where the 2 pronged spacer thing has to fit in that slot. I have tried moving the actual steering wheel, but cant. i have tried to move that thing that moves the wheels, but i can get it to go in properly.
Now, Do the prong things slide onto that platform thing? if they do, the shft will do onto the steering thing.
anyone have any tips???

I did that installation myself not too long ago. The "2 prong spacer thing" you are referring to is the rag joint. It's a pain to get back in. :bang: You might need someone to turn the steering wheel and/or the wheels while you worm it back into place. Make sure that the front wheels are pointing straight ahead when the steering wheel is at 0* when you are done.
Just keep at it. You'll get it. :D

Or buy a flaming river steering shaft that deletes the stupid rag joint that is giving you fits. Even if you wind up getting it back in, it will probably rub against the header tube and make your once smooth turns feel kinda jerky if you know what I mean. Mustangs Unlimited and Steeda both sell the shaft for approx. $165.00 I have seen people who wind up beating the portion of the tube where the joint rubs, but not really a good idea.

i dont have the $ for the flaming river setup---or i would just get that.

Does the top of the steering shaft unbolt easily? right next to that universal joint it has a bolt. if that can be undone with out any problems, it should give me the leway to get the rag joint manuvered in there.

The top bolt/nut is tough by yourself. The nut is the locking version. Have someone hold the topside with a wrench and (if you have one) use an impact wrench with extension/swivel to buzz it off. Otherwise just eat an energy bar before you wrench it off. I don't know if this will help you though. :shrug: