Need help with a MAS

• Sponsors (?)

If I'm not mistaken Granatelli is made by Pro M and not associated the C&L. With the C&L you must reuse your factory electronics and they provide you with a larger housing and a sampling tube. Pro M will include new electronics with their meters. From what I have heard/seen on this site the C&L is hit and miss. I think the concensus around here is that the Pro M 77mm or 80mm are computer friendly and perform flawlessly. Someone else chime in if I am mistaken.

I've heard the same thing about the C&L meters... its either a hit or miss. I've only heard a few bad things about the Pro-M's but the ammount of good things I've heard outweighs it by a lot. I'd stick with the Pro-M... check the classifides and you might find a good used one for a nice price.

I bought the C&L 76mm unit for 19lb injectors (it's aluminum). I got it with a 9" conical K&N filter, a plastic "heat shield" to help separate the filter from the engine bay, and their truflow aluminum inlet pipe. It was $270 on ebay for the whole thing, plus shipping of course. I never had any problems with the C&L meter. Install took about 20 min. Afterwards the car started and ran just fine, no problems. I DID unhook the battery cables so the computer reset itself though - don't forget this step.

There are a few basic things I've picked up since reading the forums about mass air meters.

The C&L unit uses sample tubes to calibrate the injector size. So if you get a 19lb meter now, and upgrade to 24 lb injectors in the future, all you will need is the new sample tube from c&l which is $20 i think. With the Pro-M, you will have to get it recalibrated for 24lb injectors, and that costs about $100.

The C&L is not blower/turbo friendly. A Pro-M is better if you have one.

Any turns in your intake pipe before the mass air meter, such as a cold air intake that curves into the fenderwell, can mess up the reading. You will have to twist the meter a certain way so it works correctly - i think this is where a lot of people's problems come into play.

I will stick with my C&L meter until I am finished with all of my engine mods, then I plan on selling it and getting a Pro-M because I will not need to alter the calibration again.

BTW - with the C&L it reuses the factory electronics, so you will need a torx bit to unscrew the plastic case and sensor from the stock meter. My package came with the right bit. :nice:

Either one is probably going to be a good choice. Get the Pro-M for sure if you're not going to upgrade your injectors in the future.

Edit:
Here's a picture of mine:
candlmaf.jpg

To avoid opening a similar thread, I just want to add a similar question. I have a '95 gt and was thinking the same set up as Josh'94gt except using a 73mm and the same c&l truflow alum pipe for the stock 19lb injectors. Just want to know if this is a worthwhile upgrade. Would I feel any difference as I entend to keep the stock tb. Or would the set up be any more effective with the bigger 65mm tb. Or, just ditch the whole idea and just install a k&n filter. I've already uncorked the exhaust with long tubes, matching h-pipe with converters and a catback. I don't want to lose any low end torque. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Besides the headers, the rest of the motor is completely stock.
Stangsman: pro 5.0 shifter, 3.73's, l/t headers, h-pipe w/converters, mac catback, 14deg timing

Josh94gt said:
I bought the C&L 76mm unit for 19lb injectors (it's aluminum). I got it with a 9" conical K&N filter, a plastic "heat shield" to help separate the filter from the engine bay, and their truflow aluminum inlet pipe. It was $270 on ebay for the whole thing, plus shipping of course. I never had any problems with the C&L meter. Install took about 20 min. Afterwards the car started and ran just fine, no problems. I DID unhook the battery cables so the computer reset itself though - don't forget this step.

Same thing here. I put on a C&L 76MM Mass air system on mine last summer and it ran w/ out any problems, over all I am happy w/ it but I am still switching over to PRO-M b/c of the mods Im doing.

out of curiosity...what made you guys buy a C&L knowing that later on you would be switching to a Pro-M??? that doesnt make sense....i say go with a "keeper meter" from the start and never look back.....and by a keeper meter i mean the Pro-M 77mm or 80mm.....i went with the 80mm because it was bigger, red(you can get all sorts of colors) and cheaper!....you can see my Pro-M setup om this pic....ill post close ups later.......

edelbrock.jpg

Anthony

Nice set -up

Hi Anthony,
That's a real nice trick set up. How did you make the CAI...diameter of the piping, length, material of piping and adapters used? Also, to fit the filter into the fender did you have to do any cutting of the inner fender?
Sal

that little homemade setup is pretty common on here....most look better than mine cuz mine aint painted....ive got a shorty 80mm Pro-M so its the meter....a 3" to 3" fernco coupler 12" of 3" PVC to another 3" to 3" coupler....there is a small amount of cutting involved but nothing major at all.....most use a dremel but i used some tin snips cuz i had a headache and didnt want to hear all the noise :nice: ....feed the meter and filter up from under neath the car and see how much you need to cut out and go at it....REAL easy and cost $25 at most....minus the aftermarket Mass Air of course.....i will post some more pics of the setup later....if you have any more questions send me a PM or do a search on the forums....my AIM screen name is metfanant if you have that as well....

Anthony

stangsman said:
Thanks, I'm all ready to go and build my own! Just one more question, how did you incorporate the IAT sensor and the breather hose? :flag:
the IAT i made a fairly small hole(i cant remember the bit size off the top of my head) and then threaded it in...the breather hose i removed and put a breather filter there.....

Anthony