need help with clutch

mustanggt04fast

Mar 6, 2009
not for my car my freind chris just bought a 89 fox body 5.0 and the clutch is stiff still works but its hard as a rock anybody have any idea why this would be like that
thanks for the help :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

a few things can cause it but one of the common ones is the pivot ball ( the clutch fork pivots off of this when you press the pedal) gets big groves in it and causes a hard pedal. also the pressure plate can cause this.

since he is going to have to take the trans out I would replace the clutch, get a flywheel or resurface the one he has and repalce the TOB, clutch fork and pivot ball.. plus inspect the cable

I would suspect the bearing retainer. The factory ones are aluminum and wear very very bad over time. Replacing the rest is not a bad idea as well. If its on a fox and is still the stock parts, then its time. Don't forget the pilot bearing as well. A little matinence can go a long way to keeping a fox clutch set up working for many years. While your at it you can add an aftermarket adjustable cable and quadrant to get rid of the factory plastic junk that is surely broken and can cause issues as well.