Need help with pulling motor... pics inside

TweekedGT

Jul 22, 2004
Alberta
OK I've never pulled a motor before and am kind of stuck. i have pretty much everything off the top of the motor and everything unbolted so it can move but just don't know what to do about the tranny and Longtubes. Do i take them off first or can i keep them on. I am getting so many differing opinions. i want somebody who has done this or that can help. How hard/long does it take to drop the K member? Do I have to take my rotors and brakes apart to do it? Please help if you can.
View attachment 487630

View attachment 487632

• Sponsors (?)

Droping the K-member is easy, its only like 10 bolts. They are fairly big and you should be able to see them. In order to drop the K-member you need to remove the springs and unhook the struts. So basically you will be removing the K-member with the lower control arms still attatched.

I had to drop the K-member when i did my shorty header install. And if you want to leave the long tube headers on while you pull the engine you can. But i personally would take them off just ot make it easier.

When you pull the K-member, remember its heavy. I'd say its about 80lbs. Also, part of the bolts u need to remove on the k-member are the motor mount bolts. So remember that when u remove those the engien will drop out...so u need to put a metal beam across the strut towers, and customize a hook to hook the beam to the engine. This way the engine will float on the beam going across the top of the engine bay and will not fall on you while you are removing the K-memeber. OR you could jack the engine up a tiny bit with a floor jack, remove the motor mounts, and then jack the engine up a little more. Then you can drop the K-member with the engine still supported on the jack. (thats what i did when i did my header install.

I hope that helps and if you need more info let me know.

first off, take the hood off. Makes everything so much easier. Next, use a load adjustor with the engine hoist. it can easily be done with the tranny and headers installed. You'll need a friend, pref. 2. Just tilt the motor and tranny back while lifting SLOWLY. once the motor starts to raise, you will need to start sliding the hoist forward to allow to tranny to clear the tunnel and firewall as you keep raising. Just go nice and slow and you should be golden.

thank you guys so much for your help. I do have another mechanic friend coming over at 3 this afternoon to help me. He's a Chevy guy and said he's pulled lots of big blocks before, which is basically what our 4.6 is without the power. I feel way better knowing this is possible. I have the motor mount bolts already off, everything is pretty much off except the stupid alternator. You guys are the best. I will post pics when the hunk of metal is out of the car. Cross your fingers.

Dan_Soprano said:
first off, take the hood off. Makes everything so much easier. Next, use a load adjustor with the engine hoist. it can easily be done with the tranny and headers installed. You'll need a friend, pref. 2. Just tilt the motor and tranny back while lifting SLOWLY. once the motor starts to raise, you will need to start sliding the hoist forward to allow to tranny to clear the tunnel and firewall as you keep raising. Just go nice and slow and you should be golden.

100 percent agreed. remember to lift the way high enough so you can tilt the trans enough to clear the firewall. in a garage at home this maybe the best way to pull the engine.

Guess what.......it's out!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a royal pain in the ass!!!!!!!!!! The steering knuckle was the worst part. It got in the way of the headers the whole time, we thought we wouldn't be able to get the motor out because of that stupid thing. Long tubes are a real PITA!!!!!! i am so happy this is done. no i just need to worry about the re-install and putting the crap together again. thanks for all of your help guys. Photobucket is being finicky right now or i would post pics. I'll keep trying.

svttech76 said:
congrats. now you are halfway there :) did you take the motor out still conected to the trans.

Yup, motor and trans came out together. The headers came half way out but wouldn't budge after that. We had to take them off before the motor would come all the way out. Problem was the steering knuckle goes right between two tubes on the drivers side. Otherwise it would probably would have slid right out.

mineralgray2002 said:
what are u doing with the lts now that you have a new motor, if they dont bolt up to the new one that is

The longtubes will bolt up just fine. I'm just not sure if i'm going to use them or not after this whole ordeal. if I ever have to remove the motor again it is a real pain with them on.