Need new front brakes, any reason not to get Cobra brakes?

DaveB

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Middlesex and Pomona, NJ
While getting an oil change, my mechanic told me that the front pads were getting pretty low, and within the next 3000 miles I should have them changed.

So me being myself, instaid of just getting new pads and getting the rotors turned, decided on getting some Cobra front brakes :D :banana:

MustangParts.com has the Cobra kit with 2 "COBRA" brake calipers with mounting brackets, front brake pad set, 2 brake hoses, and 2 Brembo brake rotors for $399. Any reason not to get this kit? Can't wait to have brake rotors taking up my entire 03 Cobra wheel :drool: .

Has anyone ever bought this before? Is it a direct swap? I was thinking about doing this myself. Now the most I have done on my car was my exhaust, so I'm no expert by any means, but it doesn't seem like it was be too hard :shrug: . Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You will need 17's and your stock spare won't clear the brakes.

The spare isn't a really big deal because if you get a flat in the front, you can put the spare on the rear and move a full rear tire to the front.

It is a bit heavier than stock rotors with the PBR's.

That is all I can think of, other than cost. I think it's worth it.

I just put mine on after them sitting in the garage for like a year. I just have a 3.73 and exhaust. These brakes are worth their weight in gold. Anyone who complanes about the weight they add should be shot. The stock brakes always fade.

The other day on the way back from the track I left it in fifth and took it to about 125. Now the highway was wide open so it was no problem. But we saw a cop with its lights on up ahead. So I stood on the brakes and was chirping the abs at everything under the 100mph mark. The brakes are great. And defintately upgrade to the stainless braided lines. I just got mine in from partshopper and they are sweet. The pedal feel is exelent. Only about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch of pedal effort is necessary to easliy slow the car.

Plus they look awsome.

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 185
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 193
Numbles said:
I just put mine on after them sitting in the garage for like a year. I just have a 3.73 and exhaust. These brakes are worth their weight in gold. Anyone who complanes about the weight they add should be shot. The stock brakes always fade.

The other day on the way back from the track I left it in fifth and took it to about 125. Now the highway was wide open so it was no problem. But we saw a cop with its lights on up ahead. So I stood on the brakes and was chirping the abs at everything under the 100mph mark. The brakes are great. And defintately upgrade to the stainless braided lines. I just got mine in from partshopper and they are sweet. The pedal feel is exelent. Only about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch of pedal effort is necessary to easliy slow the car.

Plus they look awsome.

Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear :banana: .

Just getting mine in today, another place to order from is : http://www.speedconcepts.net/ I will weigh them when I do the swap and post the difference. I am also adding the Baer erradispeed +1 to my rear wheels so ALL my '03 Cobra wheels will be full... lol

BTW, up in the FAQ's here or over at the corral, there is a walk through of how to change them.. nothing to it. counting lug nuts it's about 14 bolts total, and then a good bleed. I got a vacume bleeder at O'rielley's for about $30, and have used it a couple times, again, nothing to it.

OK, so the weight is almost the same total, the cobra calipers are lighter, but the brembo discs are a little heavier.

I'm gonna be doing the bullit brake upgrade over the summer for the fronts, my only question is would it clear the stock 17's? or am I also gonna have to upgrade to some nice new cobra rims?

EDIT: At http://www.speedconcepts.net/Cobra_Bullitt brake conversion kits.htm for the same price of $399 you can get them with CD/SL rotors, I know these have better stopping power, but aren't good for the track. I, as of now, have not taken my car to run at a track, but I do plan to after I get some mods in her. Which set would you guys reccomend to get for my situation? :flag:

I picked up all four corners with 10th anv. cobra brakes, drilled/slotted rotors, and stainless lines last thursday. Should be comming in today or tomorrow. Maybe I can snap a pic when they come in

I have the baer track package which is similar to the the cobra setup and when I do some parking lot autocrossing with some of my friends, I still notice some fade after about 10 laps negotiating around a large parkinglot whomping on the brakes up to impending lockup (I dont have abs right now). I'm gonna try better pads and slotted rotors when my stuff right now wears out. Hopefull it will get better. If you dont do stuff like this then those should be just fine for ya. Also, Yes the rotor may be heavier but the caliper is a lot lighter than your stock iron single piston crap. If you really care about rotor weight you can get Baer 2-pc. rotors with aluminum hats to save weight. But I think they only offer them in their eradispeed rotor line, which is pricey as hell.

It's a set of 13" one piece CD/SL disc's, and a set of brackets to move your stock single piston calipers out and up enough to clear them. To install, you just pull off your calipers and hat, install little bracket, attach caliper to bracket, remount wheels. WALA! big nice full wheels. They claim a bit better brakeing from the increased leverage.. we will see when I go to the next race on the 2nd.. The MSRP is $245 I think, I found it with a little searching for $229, could maybe find it even cheaper if you where more dedicated then me. But usually then you pay more for shipping... They do not include stainless braided lines, but those aren't to hard to find, I will chase some down eventually.

Downside? you HAVE to have a cobra/mach spare tire. $200 from MPS, $278 from Ford. Or, as a temporary (hey I ain't had a flat forever) answer, I carry two fix a flat cans in my trunk.

I feel like a huge dumba$$, I just spent $180 this weekend on stock replacement brake parts to fix everything I messed up last summer when I wrecked my car......wish I knew the aftermarket brakes could be had for that cheap before I did the spending!! :(