Need tires! What's the best?

B's 96 GT

Mar 15, 2004
I'm going to order a new set of tires for the rear of my car this week and a new set for the front in a week or two. What is the best size for my car? I have a 96 GT with the stock 17" double five spoke design. I believe they are 17X8 but not for sure. I would like to put a pretty wide set on the back and then 235 through 255 on the front. I was told that 275 would fit the rims but I'm not for sure and don't know if I will need the wheel spacers. I'm waiting till I get back to the states before I put a new set of rims on with the deep dishes on the back. Can anybody help me out?

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't go any wider than 255 on the front with 8" rims. I would stay at the OE 245s. 275 would push it in the back maybe :shrug: . I would get 17x9 or 9.5 for the rear...just cant rotate tires.

Sizes depend on the tire also. I have had Toyo VERY SOFT do not do a burnout!

I have Kumho right now and they are pretty good as far as traction but a little on the soft side.

Nittos I heard are very good, just pricey.

B's 96 GT said:
I'm going to order a new set of tires for the rear of my car this week and a new set for the front in a week or two. What is the best size for my car? I have a 96 GT with the stock 17" double five spoke design. I believe they are 17X8 but not for sure. I would like to put a pretty wide set on the back and then 235 through 255 on the front. I was told that 275 would fit the rims but I'm not for sure and don't know if I will need the wheel spacers. I'm waiting till I get back to the states before I put a new set of rims on with the deep dishes on the back. Can anybody help me out?

OK...from experience...u can run any size up front (on your 8" rims) up to 275. I run 275/40s on my 8" fronts now. I would recommend, however, going with a 255 or 265.

The rear will easily accept a 275/40 tire.

If sticking with 8" wheels, I would run 275s and 245s, or 275s all around.

I run 275/40/17s on 8" fronts and 315/35/17s on 10.5" rears. My wheelwells are nice and full... :D Let me know if u wanna see.

tires

Just got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. These are the best tires I have ever driven on-superior in the rain and on dry roads. I expect they will be very good in the winter too. Yes, they are pricey but in my opinion, worth every cent!

Gearbanger 101 said:
Anyone here running 275's on an 8" or 9" rim up front? What's it drive like...does it dart all over the road with such a wide wheel and tire?

Look up!

Drives fine. No darting or anything weird. A little harder on the power steering when idling and steering. Stock on last Cobras.

tygr1 said:
Look up!

Drives fine. No darting or anything weird. A little harder on the power steering when idling and steering. Stock on last Cobras.
Groovy. Wasn't sure what to expet. I noticed when I went from the stock 225/60/15's, to 245/50/16 on my old 5.0 that they seemed to follow every rut on the road afterwards, so I thought it would be worse yet going to a 275mm tire. My new car is a little heavier that my Mustang was, so maybe it won't be so bad.

TYGR1, YEAH COULD YOU EMAIL ME SOME PICKS OR POST THEM. I AM PLANNING ON GETTING SOME SNOW TIRES FOR THIS WINTER AND THEN GETTING SUMMER TIRES AND NEW RIMS IN THE SPRING. WANT TO RUN 255, IS THAT SMART WITH THE SNOW TIRES. WOULD THE 255 BE TO WIDE FOR SNOW. IT DOESN'T SNOW A WHOLE LOT HERE BUT ENOUGH FOR ME, HAVEN'T REALLY DRIVEN IN THE SNOW BEFORE, TO WORRY ABOUT. ALSO, SHOULD I RUN A WIDER TIRE IN THE BACK WHEN IN THE SNOW OR NOT?

Nittos

ellie4.jpg

HEY TYGR1, HAVE YOU LOWERED YOUR STANG. IT SURE DOES HAVE A GOOD STANCE. ALSO WHEN I GET SNOW TIRES WHAT SIZE IS A GOOD SIZE. I'VE BEEN TOLD DON'T GO TO WIDE OR I'LL REGRET. BUT IF THEY MAKE UP TO 275 IN SNOW TIRES DOESN'T THAT SAY SOMETHING?