Need to Build A 450 HP 289

cherrypony93

Sep 18, 2004
I have a 289 I need to build. I would like to get 450 - 500 HP out of her. Naturally apirated with no power adder. Can any one provide a parts list to help me out. The block is sitting here untouched. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cherrypony93

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know if its realistic to want that much horsepower from such small cubes. Maybe with a nice stroker kit and a nice set of heads you will get it but from what I have seen 289's dont like to perform all that well without some help from a supercharger or turbo.

cherrypony93 said:
I have a 289 I need to build. I would like to get 450 - 500 HP out of her. Naturally apirated with no power adder. Can any one provide a parts list to help me out. The block is sitting here untouched. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cherrypony93

Stud girdle/ARP hardware/Forged Crank/Lightweight Rods + pistons/huge heads/huge solid roller/huge intake/huge carb/awesome ignition/and lastly...HUGE RPMS :nice:

My guess is you need a 289 for a vintage racing class. The easiest way to do it with a guarantee is to buy one already built. Cobra Automotive probably has the most experience building race prepped 289s.

Otherwise, you can spend up to $15k with no guarantees your combination will work. To build that kind of power means you have to check tolerances with everything. You could spend $1,000 just on micrometers and tools to make sure you build is flawless.

I'll add to 69fb00GT a lightweight knife-edged steel crank and lightweight valvetrain (titanium if available). Basically keep everything that moves as light as possible. You get the idea.

Also, if you have to bore the block, keep it a .010 to .020. You will want to retain as much strength in the cylinder walls as possible at such high RPMs. You will also need a zero deck height and shaved heads and/or domed pistons to get the high compression you will need.

Here is a quick build sheet

Race Prep Block and rotating assembly: $1,250
Lightened Steel Crank: $1,500
CP Custom Forged Pistons: $1,000
Carrillo H-Beam Forged Rods: $1,600
Custom Heads (Victor Jr. Minimum): $2,000+
Custom Cam and Valvetrain (Mechanical, Titanium Valves): $1,500
Oil System and Cooler: $750
Radiator and Cooling: $750
Aluminum Flywheel and Driveshaft: $750
Intake and Carb: $1,000+
Fuel System: $500+

13.5:1 - 15:1 Compression Ratio
7,500 - 8,000 RPM Range

Definitely need a drivetrain to support!
Definitely need big brakes to stop!

$0.02

Max Power said:
What 69fb00gt said.

Why this particular number?

I just want something different. I have a 1993 Mustang Coupe. The body is flawless. I have had it stored since 1994. I have gutted the car trying to get it weighed in at 2500 lbs. With a nice light weight motor like the 289 it should be a screamer.

cherrypony93 said:
I just want something different. I have a 1993 Mustang Coupe. The body is flawless. I have had it stored since 1994. I have gutted the car trying to get it weighed in at 2500 lbs. With a nice light weight motor like the 289 it should be a screamer.
If weight is a concern, you can build the same power with a stroked 5.0 for less than half the price and the same weight. It will also give you a ton of low end torque which you would not have with the 289. In addition, the 289 build will require racing fuel.

cherrypony93 said:

Yeah, a 289 block weighs exactly the same as a 5.0 block.

If you want light and fast, I feel using a 289 would be a waste. All that heavy block and you're only using 289 CIs of it. You could stroke it to 331 or 347 and keep the same weight, and make much more safe power. Then again, if power to weight is what you want, going to the 351W block with a 427 or 408 stroker would be better.

Seriously, you could build a streeter 351 to go nuts at 8000rpm, it might be a little grumpy, but our country's got lots of screamers. A lot of them are Clevelands.

It would probably cost 1/2 as much to get 450 out of a 351, even a 302 stroker. Oh, and with the money you save on the stroker over the 289 buildup, you could put it towards an aluminium Dart 302 block, and save another 100lb.

69fb00GT mentioned a girdle, don't forget girdles for the valvetrain. If you want to go all out, titanium valve, retainers, and locks. TWM Induction has nice IR fuel injection manifolds, and High Performance Coatings can finish off the thermal efficiency of your donk with oil-retentive coatings for mains and rod bearings, piston skirts, heat barrier stuff for piston crown, exhaust ports and the combustion chambers. I can email you a text file of insane all-out, over-engineering ideas if you want.

302 coupe said:
here's another form fordmuscle, it was built for vintage racing where they require cast non-roller rockers, and apparently factory iron heads. This is a hgih dollar build, but it shows what can be done, heads only flow 220 on the intake, power peaks at 7000rpm.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=24304&forum=16&12
Wow! I and I thought my $15k build was a stretch. $40k is some serious dinero. However, I just talked with a friend of mine that had $4,500 into a lightened steel crank so I see how the numbers can get that high.

yeah it gets expensive to turn that kind of rpm on a regular basis. I think the average Joe could build a 450 horse 289, with an occasional high rpm blast in mind, for around 6k. A good balance job, steel crank, and good rods make for a sturdy bottom end for 450-500 hp. 302 blocks(and I imagine 289 blocks also) start splitting around 500hp, so it would be wise to upgrade to one of the lower model motorsport or dart blocks, they handle 500 hp well and fairly affordably. AFR185's, healthy solid roller cam, and a victor intake with a 750dp, I think 450hp would be realistic. It would be a dog until 4000 rpm though.