Need To Replace Power Steering Hoses

cdurbin

5 Year Member
Jul 27, 2012
North Charleston, SC
I have a small power steering leak and it appears to be coming from the fitting on the pressure hose.
I'm planning to just go ahead and replace both hoses this weekend and I am completely green at this. Do I just unhook the lower hose and let it drain, replace both lines, and then refill with type F ATF? I'm assuming that I'll need to purge air out of the system some how. Sorry for all the posts and questions. I'm trying to learn.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Pull the hoses from the steering reservoir first. Cap them with the little plastic caps from the new hoses (if they come with them). Then pull lines from the rack.

Install the rack line conections first and be prepared to hold your tongue just right, as you stand on your head and click your heals 3 times. It's not a hard job but it can be a pain in the ass to get the threads lined up and then tightened given how little room there is between the connections.

Once it's all back together, top off the reservoir and start the car. Rotate the sterring left right left right a few times to bleed the system. Service to correct level and you're done.

Don't forget to remove the line holder from the driver side fender well on the pressure line. Reinstall it last. The more tools you have to help get into tight spots, the easier the job will be.

Reactions: 1 user
The return hoses are all low pressure and are most commonly secured to the pump and associated plumbing with worm gear hose clamps. After a while they will frequently soften up at the end where they are clamped, and should be replaced. The auto parts store will sell you hose by the foot and it takes about 3 feet or less, depending if you have the fluid cooler in the low pressure side of the line.

Each hose uses an O ring on each end to seal them. The hoses will swivel when they are installed and tightened into place. That is why there are O rings on the fittings. The O ring is the part that actually makes the pressure seal. If you slide the nut all the way back as far as it will go, you will see the O ring and the groove cut into the center section of the fitting.
attachment.php

Sometimes you will get some white Teflon rings with the pump or rack. The rings go on the threaded part of the fitting to reduce or prevent small leaks. They are not meant to seal the pressure part of the line or substitute for the rubber O ring. Heat the white Teflon seals in hot water and they will be easier to install. You can install the fittings without them and not have any leaks if the O rings seal good.

power-steering-system-plumbing-gif.58118

You may find it is easier to drop the rack down to get to the hose fittings. If you try and do it with the rack in place it takes about 20 minutes per fitting to loosen them with a fancy Snap-On 45/65 degree angle head open end wrench. Putting them back on takes even longer. The flex coupling for the steering shaft needs to be disconnected before you can get the rack out. You should disassemble the coupling by undoing the 2 bolts that hold it together.

Remove the two bolts that bolt the rack assembly to the frame and then pull the rack down. Get a catch pan to dump the fluid in when you disconnect the hydraulic lines. I replaced the rack mount bushings with some Energy Suspension urethane ones. When you re-install the rack assembly, put the rear bushings in the rack assembly and lift it into place. Then install the front bushings & washers and tighten down the nuts. Doing it this way makes room for the hydraulic lines without having them bind against the frame.

Pull the hoses from the steering reservoir first. Cap them with the little plastic caps from the new hoses (if they come with them). Then pull lines from the rack.

Install the rack line conections first and be prepared to hold your tongue just right, as you stand on your head and click your heals 3 times. It's not a hard job but it can be a pain in the ass to get the threads lined up and then tightened given how little room there is between the connections.

Once it's all back together, top off the reservoir and start the car. Rotate the sterring left right left right a few times to bleed the system. Service to correct level and you're done.

Don't forget to remove the line holder from the driver side fender well on the pressure line. Reinstall it last. The more tools you have to help get into tight spots, the easier the job will be.

Well, I got it all replaced and back together. You weren't kidding about getting that thing lined up just right. Geez what a pain.
I refilled everything and checked for leaks, nothing. I bled the air out of the system as well. The weird thing is now the power steering pump is squeeling worse now then it did before I changed the lines. I bought some of that Lucas additive but I haven't put it in yet. I've heard that it will help quiet it down. Any thoughts or advice?

Well, I got it all replaced and back together. You weren't kidding about getting that thing lined up just right. Geez what a pain.
I refilled everything and checked for leaks, nothing. I bled the air out of the system as well. The weird thing is now the power steering pump is squeeling worse now then it did before I changed the lines. I bought some of that Lucas additive but I haven't put it in yet. I've heard that it will help quiet it down. Any thoughts or advice?

I've used it before and it does help. When I swapped my power steering pump, I went to Redline (I think it was) fluid and it's about as quiet as a Ford steering rack gets.

Just remember to remove a good portion of the fluid from the pump housing, add your Lucas, start the motor, rotate your wheels left and right again, then service back to normal levels.

You can use the fluid you take out to re-service the pump. I use a turkey baster. :shrug:

I've used it before and it does help. When I swapped my power steering pump, I went to Redline (I think it was) fluid and it's about as quiet as a Ford steering rack gets.

Just remember to remove a good portion of the fluid from the pump housing, add your Lucas, start the motor, rotate your wheels left and right again, then service back to normal levels.

You can use the fluid you take out to re-service the pump. I use a turkey baster. :shrug:

Sounds good. I've got one of those little transfer pumps I can use.

Last night I was thinking that maybe the sound I'm hearing isn't the power steering pump but the alternator going bad.
I could hear it this morning on the way to work. After I had been at work for about 10 minutes I asked my buddy to come out and listen to see if he could tell where the noise is coming from. Guess what, nothing, not a noise. What is that all about?

Yeah, I know what you mean. My wife is already tired of hearing me talk about the car as it is:)

Just let her know that she can be replaced but that they don't make Fox Bodies anymore. :D

Good luck with the alternator. You might want to consider putting that $100 toward a 3G upgrade and spending that dough just once.

well, I replaced the alternator tonight and i still have the same whining noise. I guess it is my power steering pump after all. BTW, it apparently had been upgraded with a 130amp Lincoln alternator so I just went with the same one.