new ford 93 cobra crate motor help!!!!

montyd

Mar 13, 2006
ok guy im totally stumper. i have a 91 gt vert that i bought with no motor. it has an aod with a 2800 stall converter and shift kit,and 4:10 gears we got a 93 cobra long block right from the local ford dealer and it has no power. it wont even do a decent burn out. hears what it does, at 4k rpm and above it sounds like there is valve float or detonation coming from cylinders 3 and 4 checked timing sevearl times even pulled the timing cover and checked cam timing it was perfect had timing down to 12 degree advanced with the pill out it does run better with the pill out but still not right. pulled the upper intake off and the 1 inch spacer is soaked through with fuel in the last two ports(has trick flow intake with 24 lb injectors) im stumped and need help anyone is welcome thanks guys
dan

• Sponsors (?)

its running 40 lbs of pressure with the vacuum off the regulator has a 255lbper hour pump and adjustable regulator only at 12 degrees of timing and no codes

the car does fire right up even after it sat for 2 months idles great even drives good other than the lack of power plugs are all tan and all the same

this is a long block block from ford. it came with gt40 heads and crane 1.7 rockers, cam and timing gears and chain installed from the factory. we put an oil pump and pan in, valve covers and the trick flow intake(track heat intake) with a one inch spacer were taking the spacer out to clear the stock hood. it has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator not sure of brand came with the rolling chassis. has ford racing 24lb injectors and a pro m mass air sensor for 24 lb injectors on a stock housing. 70 mm throttle body and egr spacer mac long tubes h pipe and flowes had a 2800 stall and trans go shift kit with 4:10 gears

I would first off get a better maf housing. A 55mm is suffacating that motor. A rule of thumb is you should always have them same size maf/TB or a bigger maf compared to the TB

I am thinking the same thing. you are saying it is a Pro-m meter but not a Pro-m housing. that sounds like the problem to me.#1 the stock housing is too small & #2 the Pro-m electronics was calibrated to be used in the pro-m housing which flows the air more efficently than the stock housing.
do you know what size housing the pro-m meter came out of? 77mm,80mm ect...... IMO, it sounds like it is flooding the motor with fuel @ high rpm's. if the pro-m meter was calibrated for a 80mm housing & you have it in the stock 55mm housing, the air is moving faster through the meter because it is smaller & therefore causing the ecm to throw way too much gas than is needed.
one last question.....I am assuming you do not have a wideband installed? might want to get one as that would tell you where the A/F's are at when the problem occurs.
sorry for the long/ possibly confusing post. but that is my .02.

ok i would agree with you there the pro m is the second or third mass air we have tried. my other car has a pro flow 24lb on it on there housing we swapped it onto this one thinking that was it and it still did it. the pro m is the second mass air we had a ford 24lb on there originally will try again with no intake spacer

here is one other thing im wondering could it be a bad computer? this car sat for almost seven years and along in there it had a gt40 crate motor in it for bout ten miles(it blew up in less then twenty miles litterally) and then sat with no motor for another year just a thought i had about the computer or the distributer

Hers my thoughts. U can keep checking the basics till your stumped but how much time and money could that take in the end? On the other hand U already seem to have so much time and money in this project why not take the car to ford and let them diagnose it for u? U did buy the long block from them rite? Sometimes its better to just pay a $100 to let the guys that do this every day find the issue then take it home and fix it yourself.

ok got the intake back on and drove it tming is still at 12 degrees if you stan on the gas or go wide open throtle it falls om ats face and pops into the intake but half throttle it runs fine so i gave it more fuel now its at 45 lbs of fuel prssure with the vacuum line off leftte guage on since the hood is of and drove it fuel presur goes to almost fifty lbs at wot but still bogs and pops some and the air ful guage still says lean most of the time and goes stoich once in a while and only at idle