New Guy here, and a few questions for the pros

KeithD

Jun 10, 2004
LaGrange, OH
Hi all,

I'm Keith, and I finally broke down and bought a new GT. :banana:

I gotta say thanks for all the information that you guys have put up here on the boards, I'm really enjoying the reading. I've got the same issues with the Tremec 3650 that some of you have had, I thought maybe it was just me. :bang:

I'm sort of a dummy when it comes to wrenching on cars, so I have a few questions that I really haven't found answers for:

1. I've got 380 miles on this thing. Change oil after.... 2000 miles? Sound about right? Replace with Amsoil synthetic oil and filter?

2. Are Magnapack/flow cat-backs a bolt-on project in the front yard? Which exhaust parts require welding?

3. If I ever think about adding a blower someday (done by someone to tune it right), what parts/upgrades really ought to be done to keep it a daily driver with a relatively long life? What intake/exhaust mods would you add?

4. Should this all wait for after the factory warranty, or a period to break in? I will probably only put about 5-6K miles on this a year.

5. Does anyone know of decent, reputable shops in the Cleveland area for this sort of work?

Hey, it's a lot for a first post, but I appreciate you guys reading and adding any input you might have! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

1. I've got 380 miles on this thing. Change oil after.... 2000 miles? Sound about right? Replace with Amsoil synthetic oil and filter?

2000 is fine, or every 3 months if it sits. Don't use synthetic until a bit after 5,000 miles.

2. Are Magnapack/flow cat-backs a bolt-on project in the front yard? Which exhaust parts require welding?

It is, but you're going to need a hacksaw / sawzall to remove the stock exhaust piping around the axel. It's a lot easier to install the new catback if you're on a lift where you can hang your axel as low as possible for ease.

3. If I ever think about adding a blower someday (done by someone to tune it right), what parts/upgrades really ought to be done to keep it a daily driver with a relatively long life? What intake/exhaust mods would you add?

If you're going the blower route, skip all the BS bolt on mods and save up your money for the blower and all associated parts. New fuel injectors, fuel pump, MAF, a tuner, the blower and all the other pieces.

4. Should this all wait for after the factory warranty, or a period to break in? I will probably only put about 5-6K miles on this a year.

Try to live out the warranty as long as possible. :)

Here's a picture of my new baby.

Attachments

• New car.JPG
    New car.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 117