New Guy, with a 97 Cobra head question:

89SuperCoug

Oct 28, 2008
Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a 97 Cobra with 80,000 miles. The car is pretty clean, but there is a problem in the motor. The place selling it states the compression is low in cylinder 7, and all others are great. They inspected the cylinder and seem to think there is an issue with the exhaust valves.

Any thoughts on the repair? I am capable of the work except for rebuilding the heads. I understand the motor comes out which is not a problem. I have experience with 302s and FE motors but not DOHC stuff.

The price is right on the car, and I am looking for reasons not to pull the trigger here.

Thanks

Robb

• Sponsors (?)

If it's the valves, thats a minor problem. Pull the head and take it to a machine shop to have it inspected. Have them x ray it or magnaflux the head for cracks and if it's ok, replace the valve springs. Also, they should inspect the valve seats, and of course the valves themselves. If you search the web there is probably an online manual for removing the head. Or just get a Ford service manual.

i did headers, valve cover gaskets and short runner intake all at once and i found the lil plastic tool thats used to put o-ring seals on injectors stuck down in the intake valve. id say pull the valve cover and make sure nothing loose or sticking.

If it's the valves, thats a minor problem. Pull the head and take it to a machine shop to have it inspected. Have them x ray it or magnaflux the head for cracks and if it's ok, replace the valve springs. Also, they should inspect the valve seats, and of course the valves themselves. If you search the web there is probably an online manual for removing the head. Or just get a Ford service manual.

:stupid: