new member from the southeast

GTgOne

Nov 17, 2011
Greetings all,

Forgive me for the length of this post but rather than just give the typical introduction of "Hi Y'all from Georgia! Ain't Mustangs teh bomb?" I want to get my reason for being here right up front. I'm looking at buying a 2011- GT, and I want to know everything I can prior to the purchase.

I'm about to become a former GTO owner, hence my screen name. Great motor and a rigid shell, but horrible interior quality, the worst suspension I've ever seen, awful paint, the list goes on. If I had done a bit of research on the two main forums for that car I probably would have seen the light before I took the plunge and saved myself the headaches.

On one of the times my car was down for "maintenance" (read: replacing the bloody motor with something that didn't crap bearings), I rented a V6 Mustang and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was the year prior to the new 300hp V6, and it was a vert, but it was still a rigid car with good handling and I looked forward to driving it. I figured if that run of the mill commuter was that good to drive, a new GT would be a lot better.

Then the Coyote came out, and I read a statement from one of the Ford Racing guys in Hot Rod, that even though the GM LS-series motor was the "go to" plant for swaps, that would change once the new Coyote was in wide release. He said it was a smaller package, less displacement, more power. Seeing the specs that they're getting 412hp out of 5 liters, whereas I get 430 out of my 6.2 LS3, I'd have to agree. Not sure if he was serious about the exterior dimensions though... I've seen 4.6 mod motors and thought they were excessively large and top heavy looking - did that change with the Coyote?

So my point of being here is that I am seriously considering the new GT, and I'm doing my research first. Had I done this with the GTO I would have known about the mysterious suspension vibration from 50-80mph that affects 9 out of 10 cars and yet has no obvious cause or cure. I would have learned about the horrible radius rod design of the lower control area. I would have found out about the front engine/suspension cradle design that requires a special tool to align, a tool that isn't even acknowledged by GM in the USA. I would have known about the difficulty in putting wider rear wheels on, the cheap interior stitching, the fragile electrics, the crappy version of the T56, the stupid radio, etc.

Plus the car looks like a Cavalier. I was in denial about that for a long time.

Looking at the Mustang, so far the only thing I can't deal with are those ridiculous headrests. What about the suspensions? Are they compliant or do they fight back? Are there decent and moderately priced suspension upgrades? What are the common exhaust mods, from the block back to the bumper? What are the upkeep costs? Do you guys have any serious bitches about your Mustangs? Are there any nagging things that a majority are experiencing?

An enquiring mind - and wallet - needs to know.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey welcome to SN. Hope you find all the information you need here. I can throw a few basic "opinions" i have. The suspension isn't too bad from the factory, but I will be upgrading mine in the near future, from what I can see we may have different opinions on what cheap is but I feel it's fairly inexpensive. More that plenty of power, interior design seems pretty good. I wouldn't worry about the headrest's they grow on you and actually turn out to be pretty comfortable after you get used to it. My only complaint is more of a nit pick, and that is where the cup holder is placed if you get a manual, and auto wouldn't be an issue. Make sure you read over all, because you will find some ppl on here that just came to flame ford for dumb issues and you will notice there post counts are real low, because they get on and leave. for the most part I'm satisfied with my purchase, I went through the same process you did on before I plunged into the purchase. I would suggest taking all the comments with a grain of salt, and highly recommend going to youtube and watching reviews from different people. Make sure you also look for bad reviews to see what they're giving, between the cars i went through I couldn't find enough negative to keep me from making my purchase. Oh btw motor trends puts out some good reviews also. enjoy your search

Thanks for the welcome.

No need to worry about me throwing flame bombs here... I'm platform agnostic. Different things appeal to different people. I never could get the whole "Chevy vs Ford" thing anyway, even when I was a kid growing up around the original muscle cars. I think the LS motor is incredible, and the GMPP guys have taken the pushrod V8 a whole lot farther than anyone thought possible, but I just can't stand the cars they've put these motors in. Except for the Caddy CTSV and the C6 Vette, they make nothing worthwhile. Likewise, Ford doesn't have many standout vehicles, but the Mustang is a great looking car and the new motor appeals to me.

When you consider that the domestic companies have changed management and direction so many times since they were founded, there really is no reason to have any kind of brand loyalty. If it works well, I'm going to buy it, no matter what nameplate is on there.

Believe me, the headrests couldn't grow on me. I had the Mustang for almost two weeks and I just couldn't get used to the thing poking me in the back of the skull all the time. It messed up what was an otherwise enjoyable drive. The seats are kind of chunky so I may look for something more streamlined to replace them, but in the meantime I have to figure out a way to deal with them. I hope that Ford "discovers" a way to make them adjustable some day. I had some euro cars a few years back that had tilt headrests, which made any seating position very comfortable.

guess mine isn't too bad because it rest on my neck not the skull area, maybe even he way I set I rarely lean back all the way. I never actually put thought into it. I know the two cars it came down to me when it was time to pull the trigger was the mustang and a SRT8 challenger. I couldn't get passed the gas guzzling tax and could just feel my wallet being drained at the pump a bit more than this mustang would, but the major turn off for me was kind of the boat your in, i didn't care for seats in them. They looked real comfortable till I sat in there, I felt cramped because I'm not the smallest guy and the way the sides curved on the seat wasn't a good fit. Made my chest feel all squeezed in