New SUMMIT Aluminum rad install which antifreeze

Tstang90

Founding Member
Jun 21, 2000
Long Island,NY
I just recieved my new SUmmit rad the all aluminum one. Its pretty beefy. The install atleast w/ a crank blower pulley is def not a direct drop in application. My ?? is what antifreeze is good to run w/ aluminum radiators?? All of them now compatible? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hi Tommy!!!!

Hi Tommy!!!!

How are things man??? Everything is cool over here. I got my top installed aboiut 3 weeks ago-Its awesome. Ronnie @ R&R is an amazaing guy!!!!
Anyhow-Back to your question, Its funny you ask it!!! Tonight-i am reading an older MM&FF OCT.2000 page 189. Regarding colling upgrades for the Mad Max stang that Vinnie Kung hooked up. Well-Anyhow--they added a Fluidyne aluminum rad, new water pump, hoses and therm.....
and they stated specifically about the type of anti freeze needed for the non-corrsoin affect oin aluminum RAD's.
The answer to your question is "Havoline DEX-COOL". It prevents the accelerated corrosion of aluminum engine parts and Rad's. Its a funky orange color instaed of the old style regular lime green.
Anyways-I hope this helps... hey let me ask you, Would you happen to have a spare Dowel pin receptacle that you are not using-Maybe i could buy it from you. 5.0 resto have been back ordered for the past 2 months-and now-i have the new top!!!!

Let me know-Anthony :nice:

Thanks Anthony. Actually I have mine on back order with em as well for 2+ months. I don't have any spares, Sorry. I spoke to the rep at 5.0 resto the thing is they never had any of these dowel pins in stock ever. They are and have been expecting them for months but no dice so far. I was told to check back peridically for em. If I hear anything Il'l let ya know for sure. Glad to hear the top work went well. I never tried FORD but maybe its worth a shot. I'd have to guess there discontinued as Im finding out many convertible items are. TTYsoon

I work in a shop as an auto-tech for a living. Don't even think about putting one drop of DexCool in your radiator. They only made the switch because it is suposed to be more enviromentally freindly. They say 5 years / 100,000 miles, :BS: Yeah go ahead, leave it in for more than 40K or a year, you'll be buying a radiator. It sedements and will clog everything. Could cause you an engine. I am suprised there hasn't been a lawsuit over that crap.

The nice classic green antifreeze will not harm aluminum, just flush it once a year and you will have no problems.

Tstang90: this really doesnt have to do anything with your antifreeze, but, i was thinking about getting that summit rad too. Is it part # 380428? well, if you wouldnt mind, would you shoot me a PM when you review it a bit and let me know how it cools, etc etc.
thanks alot.

Do not, i repeat DO NOT use dex-cool or any orange color antifreeze in your beast. The dex-cool or orange antifreeze is for 2000 or is it 2001 and up vehicles? Older cars prior to 2000 must use the the green. The newer cars can use either the green or the orange and i believe can mix them. If you use the orange, you will develop a sludge like crap in the vehicle, because it's not compatible which would ultimately result in your beast not being cooled properly :( and have overheating probs :nonono: . Hope this helps. Good luck. :flag:

WOW!!! didnt know-Dex cool sucked!!

Didnt know-all this 411 regarding Dex Cool. In MM&FF they stated thats what to be used, I guess-It was wrong information.
But from what i have heard, You cannot mix regualr anti-freeze with Dex Cool, and you would have to properly flush the block and all its components thoroughly before putting the orange dex-cool in.
A friend of mine lived in Arizona, went off-roading all the time, in the desert with blaz'N temps... and had an aluminum rad, Black magic electric fan and used Dex Cool and 2 bottles of water wetter with a 160 Therm-and He claimed the thing never ran a hair over 170. He never had any problems with Dex-cool either. but hey-I guess every situaltion is different.

Anthony

TStang,
Which summit radiator did you get? I would like to order one today and how much trouble was it to intstall? Thanks for the info. :nice:
By the way, I too have heard all horror stories about Dex-cool, go with reg. anti-freeze. I know that there are some additives you can put into the rad. with the anti-freeze that helps slow the corrosion problems but I have really never heard to many problems with them.
Thanks again. :nice: