New to Forum, new to Ford

Nardulli

Aug 5, 2020
St. Louis
As a lifelong GM guy, I'm finding some very interesting engineering in our 09 Mustang GT 4.6 3V. Joined the forum as I know I will need practical help from time to time. (Hey, this aint no LS2...) My 06 GTO met with some difficulty involving a curb and a street sign. Sideways, at speed. SOooo... until I can find the time to replace the entire K Member / cradle and suspension and crash bars and, and... we thought we would refresh my son's 09 GT. Just getting the hang of this message board - here is a photo from my shop with where we are right now on the power train:
4.6 3V.jpg

Timing those cams with the phasers was an adventure.

So much is different on this engine as compared to the LS engines I've built. It was very odd to see no cam bearings for instance.

Here is where we are with the car:

4:10 Gears
Borla Attack exhaust
That's a new Reman Ford Trans
heads redone with Ford Racing "Hot Rod" cams
MMR complete timing kit
BBK Shorty headers
Ford Racing Throttle Body
Lowering kit from American Muscle
Cervini custom hood
Ford Racing dynamic strut and shock package
Ford Racing lower control arms complete
Tune by Bama

I did some math, and I couldn't justify the Ford Racing intake manifold with just 4.6 liters of displacement. I've had too much manifold before and lost mid range torque when we put it on the dyno. Anyone here have other experience?

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the Mustang world. I had a 1998 Pontiac TransAm many years ago and also drove a friend's 04 GTO on a few occasions.

Moved this to s197 threads to het a conversation going.
Welcome to stangnet
Managed to stuff the engine and transmission back in the car as one assembly. Then discovered that my son forgot to install the spacer between the block and bell housing. Had to keep saying to myself... This is how he learns.. and reminding myself of my own self-induced lessons. Removed the fuel pump fuse and cranked it a good bit to get some oil flowing, and then started her. Fired right up. FIrst start video auploaded with this post. The car seems to run fine, reman transmission is so nice and firm and the cams and other mods seem to ahve made a difference, at least by my seat of the pants dyno. BUT ! I am getting a series of DTCs P1000; P0620; P0626; P0625 and there is no charge going to teh battery. Message pops " Check Charging System". I right away suspected a bad or missing ground. Can't find one missing. Alternator fuse is ok. We put the original alternator back on, which was good when we took it off, but still had same problem. Any pointers would be appreciated.