New to the V6 stable

01ragtop

May 20, 2004
San Diego
I just traded in my stock '01 gt Vert with an auto tranny on a '07 V6 with a Pony Package and a manual trany.. My question is this: Can I make my V6 as quick as the 01 with blot on mods? My dealer was more than eager to sell me some mods, even said that if they did it that it wouldn't void the warranty (depending on what I did of course) I just don't know which mods will give the most bang for the buck or which ones to do first. From reading the other posts it sounds like my options are:
CAI
Chip
Gears w/ T-lok
Short throw shifter
Under-Drive pulleys (not my favorite option)

Am I missing anything?
Do any of the chips out there improve the lag of the drive by wire?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

From what I've heard the stock muffler is pretty restrictive. The stock headers don't have even length pipes, so you're scavenging will be compromised too.

According to one dyno I saw JBA headers and a new muffler added 17 RWHP (10%) gain.

I just got a JBA axle-back muffler, so I'll post once I get it on and see what it does.

Thanks,

After I read your post I did some searching around and found this link:
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6.htm

They sell a couple of "packages" that seem to really open up the 4.0.
Looks like about $1200 would have me near the HP and Torque #s of the 01 GT. Then maybe gears and a shifter would would help get me even closer. I don't need it to be faster, just similar!

I also have a 2006 mustang v6 black. I just bought a CAI (brute Force) and Tuner xcal2 it is like a completely differnet car.

Mods
X-Pipe
Flowsmaster 40's
Brute Force CAI
X-CAL2

A CAI, XCAL2, tune and muffler can net you 14 second runs. Here is a list I often reuse:

CAI/Tuner Combo
• Doug/Bamachips: XCAL2 and your choice of TI or C&L CAI. (When I switched to his tune for my old TI, it shaved off 3/10ths on my time, his daily driver is an auto as well, though I think he has several test mules/test customer cars at his disposal)
• Evolution: XCAL2 and C&L (lot of guys use them)
• AZDynoChip: XCAL2 and ? (don't know if they do the internet thing, they will tune any CAI and produce some of the highest dyno numbers)
• Lidio/Alternative Auto: XCAL2 and CAI (I did some research and several shops referred me to him for Automatics, his personal daily driver is an auto)
• Brenspeed: XCAL2 and C&L (another highly reputable shop)
• Justin/VMP Tuning: XCAL2 and ? (Considered one of the top dogs for the V6 stang community and collaborates with Doug on occasion to my knowledge, he’s also tested more CAI’s on the same dyno session than anyone I’ve seen so far, read about it here: http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25551 )

Stick with any of the above and you will be fine.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but if i was to buy new gears and t-lok would i have to get another file for my tuner? An do this mods change my speedo like for example my speedo says im going 20 but im really going 10.

I just got my XCal2 from VMPtuning.com and what a difference it makes. :o I cannot recommend this simple change enough.

@hutccch, if you have an XCal2 you can adjust the gear ratio in the program. If you get the tune from a respectable source they should be willing to provide you with an updated tune for your new gears. Also, if you have an 05+ with TCS (Traction Control System) and you have the t-lok installed (highly recommended), then have the person doing the tune turn TCS off.

01Ragtop, one thing to consider is that a few people on here have found that if you throw dual exhaust on a naturally aspirated 4.0, you actually get worse performance at lower RPMs due to the exhuast being too opened up (it compromises scavenging).

A couple people have recommended (as far as performance is concerned) only going for duals if you're using super or turbo charging.

You can still enable TCS by pushing the button on the dash.

The tune setting just disables it when you start your car so that you don't have to manually disable it every time you start your car.

are you sure? i remember about a year and a half ago all the threads said it completely disables it. have the tuners become better with their tunes and can now reverse the function? :shrug: if so, that is good to hear.

are you sure? i remember about a year and a half ago all the threads said it completely disables it. have the tuners become better with their tunes and can now reverse the function? :shrug: if so, that is good to hear.

I asked Justin at VMPTuning about it before I ordered my custom tuned XCal-2. He said that I could enable the TCS at any time by depressing the dash button.